Alpine system subwoofer upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
hey everyone,

im looking to upgrade the subwoofer in my truck and had a couple questions..

is there a sub box manufacturer out there that has made a box that replicates the stock box? (keeps fold flat floor while housing a 10" sub) or people that have a done a fully custom box themselves? pictures or links would be great

if not, have people amped a new sub and kept the stock box and just re-inforced it? (added dynamat and polyfil) again pictures or information would be great.

thanks,

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I installed a 8" Pioneer shallow mount in the stock box, with a Rockford 250 Prime mono pushing it

used the factory signal with a LC2I

really works well

OP
OP
spencer1122

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I installed a 8" Pioneer shallow mount in the stock box, with a Rockford 250 Prime mono pushing it

used the factory signal with a LC2I

really works well

a lot better than stock i assume. did you do anything to upgrade the stock enclosure? or just drop the new sub in?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory Alpine sub sucks. If you don't want to give up the underseat space, I'd look into slim wedge boxes from JL that use their TW line. You could possibly fit one of those behind the rear seat and raise it enough that you could still fold the floor.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I looked, there are no boxes that allow you to use your fold flat except the JL dual 10

But after much research the fold flat floor does not sit level with it so everyone that I read had one ended up removing it

I had to have mine as I haul on it a lot

I filled mine with poly fill

I am very happy with the set up , just have realistic expectations

while it is night and day over factory it is not dual 10's

OP
OP
spencer1122

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I looked, there are no boxes that allow you to use your fold flat except the JL dual 10

But after much research the fold flat floor does not sit level with it so everyone that I read had one ended up removing it

I had to have mine as I haul on it a lot

I filled mine with poly fill

I am very happy with the set up , just have realistic expectations

while it is night and day over factory it is not dual 10's

thanks for the info! what i was looking to add was the kicker 8" CompRT. its 300W RMS. a little more than the pioneer. just really hoping its not too much for the stock box.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Not sure on the Kicker, What amp are you going to use ?

The Rockford 250 Prime is a little big

The JL would fit nicely , I will get a picture of mine that may help you out

Nocturnalsst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kicker makes a sub and amp package that is plug and play with our trucks. It relocates itself the driver side, so the larger passenger side storage basin is freed up.

It isnt the most bang for your buck, but its a decent upgrade, and looks factory. You will lose your driver side folt flat flooring.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
That's the problem, a solution that lets you keep the fold flat floor

Not sure of the depth of the Comp RT "

I know JL makes a shallow and I think Scar may ?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
my friend wanted to retain the fold flat as well so we added the Pioneer slim sub to the factory Alpine box. We layered every side with deadener (butyl based) and put 3/4 of a pound of poly fill in it. I think he has 250 watts going to the Pioneer (Image Dynamics amp) It added a little bit of impact over stock, but nothing substantial. With the amount of money he had in the entire process....not worth it in both of our opinions. The Pioneer sub is nice, but that Alpine box will always be the weakest link by far. He is considering other options now. You can buy the meanest sub on the block, but if you put it in a poor box....it'll only sound as good as the box.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Really ?

I am happy with my set up the pioneer, LC2i & Rockford

OP
OP
spencer1122

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not sure on the Kicker, What amp are you going to use ?

The Rockford 250 Prime is a little big

The JL would fit nicely , I will get a picture of mine that may help you out

havent finally decided on an amp yet. there was a mono 300W RMS jl audio that i was looking at. i really only need something to power the sub that i want.

Kicker makes a sub and amp package that is plug and play with our trucks. It relocates itself the driver side, so the larger passenger side storage basin is freed up.

It isnt the most bang for your buck, but its a decent upgrade, and looks factory. You will lose your driver side folt flat flooring.

ive seen that and it doesn't seem that great IMHO. in canada, where i am, its over 1300$ and the sub that it includes is less then 100$ by itself. if i was going to spend that kind of money id get a custom fiberglass box built.

my friend wanted to retain the fold flat as well so we added the Pioneer slim sub to the factory Alpine box. We layered every side with deadener (butyl based) and put 3/4 of a pound of poly fill in it. I think he has 250 watts going to the Pioneer (Image Dynamics amp) It added a little bit of impact over stock, but nothing substantial. With the amount of money he had in the entire process....not worth it in both of our opinions. The Pioneer sub is nice, but that Alpine box will always be the weakest link by far. He is considering other options now. You can buy the meanest sub on the block, but if you put it in a poor box....it'll only sound as good as the box.

totally agree with you. i was just hoping someone had a proven solution and was going to tell me different. i think really the best way to do it is a custom box that fills the same area as the stock enclosure. im just not financially ready yet for the hit to my bank account lol

If you're not averse to spending some money, I'd bet someone could build a slim enclosure that was attached to the back wall. Use one of these subs from JL.

Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - TW3 - JL Audio

i would probably get a custom enclosure made up where the stock box sat. the couple people that i talked to here in alberta said they had made one or 2 before with good results. but that gets really expensive really quickly as i have no experience with fiberglass. and that sub looks awesome. the 480$ canadian price tag... not so much

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would probably get a custom enclosure made up where the stock box sat. the couple people that i talked to here in alberta said they had made one or 2 before with good results. but that gets really expensive really quickly as i have no experience with fiberglass. and that sub looks awesome. the 480$ canadian price tag... not so much

Depending on just how far into Canada you are I'm pretty sure customs at the border would not know that the sub enclosure installed in your truck is new...

:roflsquared:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990