Apple CarPlay for UConnect 8.4 on 2016 1500

Do you want a update to Apple CarPlay?

• Yes

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeorgeRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called UConnect and spoke with a "Kelly" who said there are plans for an update between January and May 2017 for Apple CarPlay on 2016 RAM 1500 vehicles. When I went to dealer asking how I would be notified, they said there will NOT be an update. Has anyone in this forum heard about any updates?

Thank you in advance.

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i wouldnt trust anything they say at uconnect...

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i wouldnt trust anything they say at uconnect...

This. They really have no clue what's going on. You can't really trust anything until FCA makes a press release or the update is released.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK. Thank you. I know in the past FCA said 2016's would have it but it looks like in June, FCA came out that 2017s would have it. This is confusing. I purchased under the impression it would be available. If it changes, many will be disappointed.:help:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK. Thank you. I know in the past FCA said 2016's would have it but it looks like in June, FCA came out that 2017s would have it. This is confusing. I purchased under the impression it would be available. If it changes, many will be disappointed.:help:

The 2017 models don't have it either, and I'll be surprised if they go through the effort of an update since they don't have the next gen UConnect in them. It's not a certainty that it'll even show up in the 2018 models since the 5th gen RAMs are debuting for the 2019 model year. In the past, major UConnect changes have been part of major vehicle refreshes.

The only vehicles they've put it in so far are the Charger/300/Challenger. The Pacifica is all-new for 2017, and has an updated UConnect that has multi-view camera and a UI that looks like the next gen one in the other cars. But, it doesn't have CarPlay either. The Pacifica owners are PISSED because apparently a lot of dealers said CarPlay was coming and it hasn't.

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I mean I had apple carplay in my 16 gti. It was OK but nothing special. Now the android auto integration was EXCELLENT

SkipSauls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
It's disappointing that Apple and the various manufacturers make this a "new vehicle" issue rather than a software upgrade, or a hardware upgrade if the existing hardware isn't up to the task. The vehicle isn't the important thing when it comes to connectivity and apps, and shouldn't be holding everything back.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I mean I had apple carplay in my 16 gti. It was OK but nothing special. Now the android auto integration was EXCELLENT

I'm a diehard Apple fan and have owned an iPhone since the original in 2007. That said, I agree with you. I've never been completely blown away by any of the CarPlay systems I've tried. Some are better than others, but the underlying system is just not that amazing. I would like to have it and would spend a little money to get it, but it would never influence my decision on what car to buy. The 2016 RA4 in my truck is actually quite good already, and far better than the previous generation 8.4 in my 2012 300.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you to everyone that replied and continue to reply. I appreciate everyone's input and hope FCA will want to keep customers satisfied. Apple CarPlay does have elements that would help drivers out. For myself and many friends that have it on other vehicles, we consider it a safety issue. It integrates the phone to the vehicle. Ultimately, I think if it makes driving safer, it's worth it.

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So the pressure is really on for FCA, and in our case RAM, now that Ford announced today that their fleet of 2016 models will be receiving the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay update to their vehicles. We can only hope that this spurs FCA to pull the sticks out of their butts and develop the same type of update for our vehicles. Otherwise, we'll get a good idea of where they place customer satisfaction/retention post purchase in comparison to their competitors IMO.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AppleCar Play and Android auto for 2016 RAM

I really hope that FC changes course on this. It's crucial to provide updated technology in today's auto market to stay competitive.

Dustball3k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's 2018, any update on this? Just got my 2016 a month ago... Wish it had Android auto

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doubt it will ever happen, it's not financially smart for FCA to retrofit older with newer tech when they can just make people buy new trucks with the upgraded tech.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
While you can't upgrade the SW on the 13-17 radios to support AA/CarPlay you can install the 18 UAS/UAQ radio which has it. We have a whole thread for it...

How to install 18 Ram 4C Android Auto/CarPlay radio in 13-17 trucks
https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1669748

M² Mods.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I called UConnect and spoke with a "Kelly" who said there are plans for an update between January and May 2017 for Apple CarPlay on 2016 RAM 1500 vehicles.
For what it is worth, I also called Uconnect sometime last year and was told it was not possible - the hardware would not support it.