8.4 Uconnect over the air update failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, Tuesday morning when I got in my truck to go to work, I noticed on my radio screen saying that there was an available update to be applied and said something about not being able to do it while I was driving and wanted me to enter a time to postpone the update.

Well, I set a time like it was asking and at the end of the day when I got in my truck to go home, it said on the screen that the update had failed and that I needed to call the dealer. Well, before I called the dealer, I called up Uconnect and they said there was at least two updates for my radio and when I said the auto update failed, they said I would just have to take my truck to the dealership to have them apply the update.

As of yet, I haven’t seen any more attempts on my screen for it trying to apply this update so today, I called my dealership and they were saying that it was gonna cost me probably around 180 bucks for them to apply this supposed two-hour update. Has anybody had one of these over the year updates not go through like this?

After talking to Uconnect, I asked them being that two years ago, I, for some reason decided to update the navigation software in my truck even though I don’t use it and when they sent me the package containing the flash drive, there was a second flash drive in there that had a firmware update that I had to apply to the radio before I could update my navigation software. I thought that was kind of strange because why didn’t that come through the air whenever it was released?

Anyway, that’s the last time it was updated but I just don’t understand why they’re making this update sound like it’s much more than any other firmware update I’ve received over the air that took less than five minutes to apply.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys, Tuesday morning when I got in my truck to go to work, I noticed on my radio screen saying that there was an available update to be applied and said something about not being able to do it while I was driving and wanted me to enter a time to postpone the update.

Well, I set a time like it was asking and at the end of the day when I got in my truck to go home, it said on the screen that the update had failed and that I needed to call the dealer. Well, before I called the dealer, I called up Uconnect and they said there was at least two updates for my radio and when I said the auto update failed, they said I would just have to take my truck to the dealership to have them apply the update.

As of yet, I haven’t seen any more attempts on my screen for it trying to apply this update so today, I called my dealership and they were saying that it was gonna cost me probably around 180 bucks for them to apply this supposed two-hour update. Has anybody had one of these over the year updates not go through like this?

After talking to Uconnect, I asked them being that two years ago, I, for some reason decided to update the navigation software in my truck even though I don’t use it and when they sent me the package containing the flash drive, there was a second flash drive in there that had a firmware update that I had to apply to the radio before I could update my navigation software. I thought that was kind of strange because why didn’t that come through the air whenever it was released?

Anyway, that’s the last time it was updated but I just don’t understand why they’re making this update sound like it’s much more than any other firmware update I’ve received over the air that took less than five minutes to apply.
You can update it yourself for free. All of the files are available on the forum. I'd be happy to assist as well. If interested, send me a PM...

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
@corneileous , you 've got the right contact with @SitKneelBend responding to you on this one. I was in your position just under a year ago, except mine now has to do the firmware updates to the radio via USB only now since older. Thanks to @SitKneelBend and others on this forum, I was able to find all the FW files I needed to my Canadian sold 2500 and do the right versions step by step until I had a new enough version to then apply the NAV maps updates. Thanks again @SitKneelBend ! My advise, is don't try to jump too many versions in one update (plenty of details on that on this forum to know what the right versions to get are), and like others have said either leave truck running while you do it, or battery charger while in the run position on push to start cause it's going to take the time it takes! Good luck!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can update it yourself for free. All of the files are available on the forum. I'd be happy to assist as well. If interested, send me a PM...
Could you help me updating my 2018 VP4R radio to the latest firmware? It is a donor radio and i dont have a Vin#. Any help would be appreciated.