bucks130 audio build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time ram owner here and have already pulled some great info from this forum in the short couple months I've been registered. That being said, I am looking to install an aftermarket radio to replace my stock 5.0 radio. I would like to sell the radio to someone here when finished but will need to up my post count first, so I figured what better way than to start a thread.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently I have the 5" touchscreen and although it doesn't have issues with it, I always have added an aftermarket deck and this truck looks to be no different. I also have the base 6 speaker system.

A couple months ago, I changed out the dash and front door speakers to fosgate T-152s components but left the rear speakers alone. The components are amped by an older fosgate 4 channel that I have had for close to 15 years now. The rears are running off the stock radio for fill.

I also added a 10" alpine type-s in a single foxbox behind the driver seat amped by a fosgate mono amp, again around 10 years old. Amps are connected to the radio by an Audiocontrol DQ-61.

Kudos to the forum for figuring out the resistor issue for the high level inputs on LOCs

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should also add that I bought a passthrough wiring harness from netaudio (again thanks to the forum!!!) for the interconnect between the main truck wiring harness and adding the dq-61 to the radio. This kept from having to cut anything into the main harness.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying to upload some pictures but having issues with file size and dimensions. Do you guys use any sort of software before uploading? Tried using snapseed app but still not working right.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20170312_114507.jpg

OK so now that I was smart enough to try the taptalk app to upload a picture, I can add some color to this thread. What kind of boring build thread doesn't have some pictures...right!

Anyways, this was my dash after everything was hooked up. Stock 5.0 radio and you can see the LEDs and rotary knob I installed from the dq-61 on the lower right side of the bezel. Had to drill a couple holes into the plastic but everything fit well over there, plus gave me control of the sub output

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_20160908_111025.jpg

This was the pigtail harness I got from netaudio. Those guys did a very job. They will wire as needed. I had them just leave speaker wires, power and ground exposed for me

IMG_20160823_185928.jpg

I had made a temp amp rack for under the seat with some leftover mdf. This was the fit test

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20170313_175654.jpg

This was my proposed layout for the amp rack. Couldn't upload other pic I had because of size.

20170312_114553.jpg

I saw someone else install a dq-61 into the drawer in the bezel on another thread so that was my plan. Would keep the dq close to me so I could tinker the EQ on the fly. Didn't work out though. I think they may have installed into a full console and I have the jump seat.

The wiring relays and motors for the heating controls are directly behind this drawer and I was about a .5 inch short on space.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20170312_152839.jpg

This led to me having to relocate the dq-61 to the back, which I really didn't want to do, and then had to run some 9 wire back from the front. I just connected this to the harness from net audio.

20170302_165257-01.jpg

Here is a close up of the speaker wires on the rack. Wanted a way to quickly disconnect wires if needed from rack. Also, because these radios are funny about loading, you can see the resistors I installed.

At first I didn't use any resistors and everything worked fine. Then I would occasionally lose audio and figured this was prolly the reason. No issues at all after putting them in.

I should add that I used the DQ-61 for my front speakers and sub. I left the rear speakers running off the head unit. So when I lost audio, I would only have the rear speakers outputting audio. This led me to believe it was the loading problems known from these head units and not my wiring/dq-61 failing.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20170302_165342-01.jpg

Close up of foxbox if anyone was interested in getting one. Nicely built for the price. Wasn't looking for crazy bass, just decent low end. Kind of wish I went with the sealed rather than the port but overall still satisfied. Maybe in the future I'll try and tackle building my own with glass.

20170312_114515.jpg

Close up of the dq-61 LEDs and knob.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after having the stock system running since the summer, the aftermarket bug finally got me. I went ahead and installed a pioneer AVH-4200NEX this past weekend.

Radio is much better IMO than the stock unit. Plus I have android auto now and that was never coming with the stock unit.

My biggest gripe with the stock radio was Bluetooth. Seemed to always be very picky on when it would connect and I finally had enough. Plus I always have installed pioneer decks in the past and this was no different.

20170313_175426.jpg

20170313_175604.jpg

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the maestro system with this deck and it is pretty cool. Regained all my options from the stock radio with the exception of Bluetooth and usb in the jump seat. I may install that module in the future but no rush right now.

Found an adaptor on Amazon to connect a sirius tuner to my factory SAT antenna which saved me from having to run another wire. That was well worth the couple bucks and highly recommend to everyone looking to keep SAT.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Well done. Did you bypass the eq/loc when you added the pioneer? Tweets in the dash or did you put them up in the sail panel?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So after having the stock system running since the summer, the aftermarket bug finally got me. I went ahead and installed a pioneer AVH-4200NEX this past weekend.

Radio is much better IMO than the stock unit. Plus I have android auto now and that was never coming with the stock unit.

My biggest gripe with the stock radio was Bluetooth. Seemed to always be very picky on when it would connect and I finally had enough. Plus I always have installed pioneer decks in the past and this was no different.

View attachment 85195

View attachment 85197

That radio looks sweet. I'd love to spend $500 or so and get a really nice touch screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just removed it completely. It wasn't too bad pulling the 9 wire out and running rcas to the rear. Only took about 20 mins or so. Have rcas for front components and sub. Still used the deck for rear fill.

I actually have the tweeters on top of the dash pointing at me. Looks a little different but wasn't sure how I felt about tweets inside the dash and bouncing off the glass. I just mounted the tweeter on a small piece of wood and then screwed that into where the stock speaker goes. Then I cut a hole for the tweeter through the plastic grill on the dash for it to stick out.

Figured it would be a test and if I didn't like it, I'm sure I could find speaker grills cheap. Plus I didn't really like how the tweets would be facing slightly downward on the sail panels.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also would be lying if I didn't include that I really didn't feel like running more wires into the door. That can be a major pain!

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That radio looks sweet. I'd love to spend $500 or so and get a really nice touch screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's really nice. Figured it was a worthwhile investment while I had some cash. The maestro unit working with it is pretty great. It's like I still have a stock radio interface if needed as well as extra gauges and stuff.

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well done. Did you bypass the eq/loc when you added the pioneer? Tweets in the dash or did you put them up in the sail panel?
I'll get a picture uploaded tomorrow for you guys and you can tell me what you think. I still may change them around and play with the sail panels and pillar

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right now I have usb cables coming out the back of the radio and thru the big hole in my center drawer. I don't want to keep it this way.

Has anyone used any usb dash mounts on here? Any problems with them, mainly android auto not working? I see them on Amazon with usb/hdmi combo or 2 usb combo. Have high reviews there, just looking for experience from you guys

The usb plug under the center bezel is power only I think on the jump seat models. Wondering if I could just pop that out and install a usb dash mount there