Critique my system plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I think I have things figured out as far as what direction I'd like to go. Just to preface I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with 8" screen w/o the alpine. My goal was to do a speaker replacement only so I didn't have to mess with inline amps, pac harnesses or rewiring. Below is what I'm thinking:

Dash - Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx
Front Doors - Infinity Reference REF-9620cx. I'll mount the tweeters in the sail panels.
Rear - Infinity Reference REF-9622ix
Sub - JBL BassPro SL

Nice thing is all this can be done without an amp, pac harness or any real rewiring. Infinity claims to have designed these speakers efficiently enough to utilize stock headunits and still sound great.

Crutchfield wants $542.00 for all this. After shopping around on amazon I could get it all for $487.00. Not sure if the $55 saved is worth it given the great customer support and install advice I can get from crutchfield.

For reference the kicker CS series with the JBL sub I was originally planning would run me $410.00 because of the buy one get one 50% off. So a difference of $132.00.

Would you say going with the Infinity set would be better than the Kickers? I really want clarity in my speakers and have the JBL pick up the lows.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, once you choose components I think they will suffer a bit if just using the OEM head unit for amplification. I can hear what's lacking in my upgrade using the OEM head unit. But at your price point, it's not that expensive and no doubt you will have a decent improvement to the overall sound.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
IMO, once you choose components I think they will suffer a bit if just using the OEM head unit for amplification. I can hear what's lacking in my upgrade using the OEM head unit. But at your price point, it's not that expensive and no doubt you will have a decent improvement to the overall sound.

So I asked the guys at crutchfield about using components on the front with a stock headunit and they are telling me that they work good due to the efficiency of the infinities. They did say they wouldn't recommend any other component speaker without an amp. But they are also trying to sell a product so that's why i'm wanting some unbiased opinions.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I asked the guys at crutchfield about using components on the front with a stock headunit and they are telling me that they work good due to the efficiency of the infinities. They did say they wouldn't recommend any other component speaker without an amp. But they are also trying to sell a product so that's why i'm wanting some unbiased opinions.

They will probably work fine as they don't need a lot of power, but the OEM head units amp is limited as opposed to a 3rd party amp. It's why I chose not to do components and get into wiring and instead just dropped full range 3.5's in the dash and 6x9's in the doors since the front signal splits to each.

Your speakers will only sound as good as the amp. Compared to stock they will be so much better, yet the head unit itself will just not give clean sound that an aftermarket amp would. Like myself, you may be happy. But I went with zero rewiring.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They will probably work fine as they don't need a lot of power, but the OEM head units amp is limited as opposed to a 3rd party amp. It's why I chose not to do components and get into wiring and instead just dropped full range 3.5's in the dash and 6x9's in the doors since the front signal splits to each.

Your speakers will only sound as good as the amp. Compared to stock they will be so much better, yet the head unit itself will just not give clean sound that an aftermarket amp would. Like myself, you may be happy. But I went with zero rewiring.

Gotcha. Well the plan honestly is to run with this setup and IF I ever get to the point that I'm not satisfied I've laid the ground work for adding an amp to the speakers and having a system that would really shine. Not doing the 6x9 components in the front only saves me $60. If I ever amped I would change out the sub as well.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they will work fine, just wont be as clear to their fullest potential. keep in mind these factory radios (non alpine) are only putting out about 7-10 watts rms power. that is why even something as small as a 40-50 watt rms amp on components is a huge difference.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I can speak the the reference speakers, they are great and while you lose a little volume they will hang in there longer to give you overall higher volume. As for clarity and definition, you will be blown away, the factory speaker are truly no match for them.

Smart trying the powered sub. I replaced factory sub with the 8" Pioneer, but not a significant gain other than it seems to be a bit tighter that the factory, nothing night and day for sure.

Trying to figure out if I can add an amp to the that and somehow use the existing harness for crossover duties so i only have to deal with power and ground ?

Look forward to your results and really into see how that sub does :favorites13:

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can speak the the reference speakers, they are great and while you lose a little volume they will hang in there longer to give you overall higher volume. As for clarity and definition, you will be blown away, the factory speaker are truly no match for them.

Smart trying the powered sub. I replaced factory sub with the 8" Pioneer, but not a significant gain other than it seems to be a bit tighter that the factory, nothing night and day for sure.

Trying to figure out if I can add an amp to the that and somehow use the existing harness for crossover duties so i only have to deal with power and ground ?

Look forward to your results and really into see how that sub does :favorites13:

Now I'm wavering back and forth between the setup listed and just doing the Mopar Kicker speaker upgrade with a power sub. In my old truck I had a Kenwood KSC-SW11. While it didn't blow you away with bass it did help fill the gap on the low end and I found it was adequate. I've also changed up my mind on the power sub after talking to Crutchfield. I'll be going with the Rockford Fosgate PS-8 and mounting it behind the back seat. The rockford receives more power and also reaches deeper. Crutchfield recommended either that or the Kicker Hideaway. I was told both were superior to the JBL and Kenwood.

Last edited:

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Can't speak to the Kickers ? The reference speakers have a very pristine clean sound to them. Low end is where they need the help , I didn't know you could fit a sub behind the seat ? I will check out the RF , still looking for a path to add an amp to my existing sub

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can't speak to the Kickers ? The reference speakers have a very pristine clean sound to them. Low end is where they need the help , I didn't know you could fit a sub behind the seat ? I will check out the RF , still looking for a path to add an amp to my existing sub

Only a very low profile powered sub. The rockford Fosgate is only 3-7/16" deep. You have roughly 5" behind the seat.

s-l1600%202_zpsjgya6q08.jpg

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Wow,

Checking into this , guess you have to take the back seat out, mine do not fold forward ?

Maybe two of them :)

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Since you're going to have the door panels off add some sound deadening to the door skin.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last edited:

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used stinger roadkill extreme, dynamat works good too. Depending on how much of the panel you want to deaden you can add it through the speaker opening and reach in as far as you can or do like I did and remove the inner door card and do the whole door skin.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
That's a good idea, did not put any on mine when I did it

Quick Google , wow that stuff is expensive .....

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is well worth it. You will notice a difference. Most of your local stereo shops should carry it.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
once you remove your back seat, there is another problem area for rattles back there. The cabin pressure vents rattled like crazy with low bass notes. it wasn't the rubber vent that was the issue but the loose fitment of the vent itself. Since the seat will be out might as well do that too. Here was my solution for it

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 25