DIY 8.4A upgrade bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I now have accumulated 2 of each type of radio bezels 2 x (RA1 & RA2) AND 2 X (RA3 & RA4). I am contemplating cutting one of each to make a composite bezel. My cut line will follow the trim lines that encircle that center stack. I feel that if I take my time and using a fine sander I can make a very clean seam that would look very much original. Has anyone else done this if so pics please.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the problem with the ra1-2 to 3-4 swap is the volume knob. The 1-2 the volume knob is part of the radio. on the 3-4 its on the bezel. how that is wired in i have no clue. If you have steering wheel controls that will work for volume.

the 3-4 will fit in the opening of the 1-2 with only a little of the screen cut off due to the rounded corners.

there is a kit being prototyped out there that has the volumw switch in it also.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I know all that and already have the 8.4 installed, I also installed the SWCS so volume control is not really an issue, I just don't care for the look and the fit up of using the RA1/RA2 bezel, I think cutting one of each will work out very well, just wondering if anyone else has done this. It will basically be like the OEM Navi bezel only in two pieces without the idotic looking volume switch they used.

hinzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but then wrapping the bezel after to cover any lines.

I just need to find both bezels at a reasonable price

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Do you mean the 3m wrap the stuff they sell at autozone. Comes in carbon fiber and various colors. It looks almost like rubber and the black looks almost exactly like the coating that is on the bezel now. I am considering that as well. If you go
that route it might be wise to glue the back of the seam possibly with that new super strong glue you activate with ultra violet light. And fill and sand the front of the seam.

hinzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you mean the 3m wrap the stuff they sell at autozone. Comes in carbon fiber and various colors. It looks almost like rubber and the black looks almost exactly like the coating that is on the bezel now. I am considering that as well. If you go
that route it might be wise to glue the back of the seam possibly with that new super strong glue you activate with ultra violet light. And fill and sand the front of the seam.

yeah, probably a matte black vinyl wrap

If you have extra bezels, care to sell them?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L

Want to sell one of the RA3/4 Bezels? :naughty:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm actually in the process of trying to figure out how to do the swap and keep the volume and tune knobs. I can't remember who tired it but i guess the HVAC control connector is different. That got me wondering just what the difference is but so far the only wiring diagrams I can find are the same because the 2 different diagrams are for the base system and premium system, the difference between those though isn't different radios though, it is for the upgraded sound system with the subwoofer. So if anyone has any idea where to get proper wiring diagrams please let me know. Also if someone has pictures from the different connectors on the back of the 8.4 bezels (specifically wire colors) let me know as well. I would love to go to a junkyard and see what the difference is in the wiring harness to see if the whole harness needs to be swapped or if it just subtle differences.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Dam, so they DID make the switch an option. Nice to see, it really dropped the price with no switch! Now they have my attention.

-JT

Last edited:

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I thought for $300 it retained the factory volume control, I can't believe they charge that much for a rocker switch.
Apparently they include the climate controls with the 300 dollar version. They have to wire the volume switch into it. Thus the price tag.

-JT

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I decided to go for it and bought the non volume control one, they shipped it and it should be here on Monday. Duneflyer already installed his and it looks nice. Price is a ripoff but I tired of screwing about

image_3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Mine came in today looks nice, I like it a lot, but I should have my head examined for what I paid for it. Update installed!!!

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

While I was at it I installed software for additional cargo cam and front cam. This added the controls icon I did not have before, as no heated seats or steering wheel. The settings function is now embedded in the controls panel along with cargo cam. The front cam activates automatically in drive and shuts off at abt 10 mph.

DSCN0365.jpg

Last edited:

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Mine came in today looks nice, I like it a lot, but I should have my head examined for what I paid for it.
Got any good high res pics at all? How's the finish and over all build?

-JT

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The finish on the front is an exact factory match, how durable the finish is I can't say. the backside the coating seems a bit lighter, but sufficient and no one sees this anyway. The screw bosses seem fine. Also on the back side is OEM nav letters embossed in plastic. I know this will make my install look very clean and completely factory even though the configuration is totally non factory. The only thing bugging me is how on earth did i spend so much on a piece of plastic? I will try and post pics tonight

Last edited:

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Mine will be here today, and yes I know I need my head examined, but WTF?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990