Factory Alpine Audio enhancements!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I figured since there were not too many threads about making enhancements to the Alpine system that I would post mine. For now, I wont be completely ripping out the system but I will be changing out speakers and adding a sub.

So far, I have the Infinity 3002-cfx 3.5" speakers in the dash. Incredible difference. MUCH clearer and better highs.

On order, I have Infinity 2-ohm 6.5" for the front doors, and Infinity 2-ohm 6x9 for the rear doors. I also have a Sundown SA-12 DVC 4ohm w/ sealed Fox Box on the way which will be powered with a Hifonics Brutus, 700w RMS @ 2ohm. Picked up a LC2i as well to tap into the factory speaker lines. Knu Koncepts 4awg amp kit will be used to install. Ill post some pictures this weekend (hopefully).

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61824_Infinity-REF-3002cfx.html?SearchClickout 3.5"
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18903_Infinity-Reference-6032cf.html 6.5"
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18906_Infinity-Reference-9633cf.html?SearchClickout 6"x9"
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/search?keyword=hifonics+brx1000.1d AMP
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9260-sa-12-d4-sundown-audio-12-600w-dual-4-ohm-sa-series-subwoofer.aspx SUB

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man oh man! This is audio upgrade season, I love it!

You've got some nice stuff coming... :favorites13:

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SO I had read that the rear doors offered more space for 6x9 replacement (about 4") so I went ahead and purchased those 6x9 listed above with 3 1/8" depth.

Low and behold, there is no more room in the rear doors than in the front. I tried using the supplied spacer, but the speaker then hits the door panel. I guess Ill need to find a thin depth 6x9 to replace them. Hopefully I can find 2ohm speaker that is the correct depth (about 2 3/4"). Got the 6 1/2" and they add a good mid-bass to the system.

Have everything except the foxbox for the sub. Cant wait to get it. Hopefully it goes out Monday like he said and I receive it by Friday.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why the SA in a sealed box? You can run it sealed but the output and low end extension suffers badly even in the 1cuft. sundown recommends which I have tried a few times, the SD12 will be louder and cleaner in a sealed box, others may say different but its just my first hand experience.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might try ported down the road but Id rather have a custom box built. Everything Ive read and everyone I have talked to recommended a sealed enclosure for tighter bass for rock music. Maybe thats wrong?

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tighter bass will come with good midbass from your components because its 60hz and and the sub will play 20-85hz. The SA and the SD plays rock like a boss tuned around 35-37hz ported I listen to all types of music from Decaf to Lamb of God.
The tighter bass thing in a sealed box is over 20years old when subs had small motors and heavy voice coils= poor cone control=sloppy bass.
If you plan on going ported the SA will serve you well as long as you can get 1.5-1.75cuft of air space.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will need a large sealed enclosure like 1.5 cubes kinda large otherwise bottom end isn't there. At that size you would be better off with finding a sub that's optimized for sealed enclosures.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So Im just going to have to go custom to get that. I would definitely like a custom box one day and learn to glass and make one myself. We will see how it does for now and if Im happy with it, ill roll with it for awhile.

I know the setup wont win any competitions or be badass, but Im just not willing to dump the entire factory system just yet so it will do for now. Actually plan on getting a VW Bug here soon and will most likely do an audio setup in that.

RamDat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the post, Doz.
I'm new to the forum, but not to Ram. I had a 2010 Big Horn with the base audio system. I put a Kenwood HU and Rockford Fosgate 6.9's in the rear doors with Boston Acoustic in front doors and dash...major improvement.

However, now I have a 2014 Big Horn Crew Cab with the Alpine 9-speaker system. I have a few questions for you.
1. Are the speakers in this system upgraded Alpine speakers, or are they the same crappy Mopar OEM speakers used in the base system? I am assuming either way that they are the traditional type, and not component style.
2. Is it worth upgrading just the speakers in this system? I have no desire for amps and such...I just really enjoy clear, clean sound in my stereo. I leave the audiophile quality stuff for my home system (Anthem & Kef).
3. This system is supposed to have 9 speakers. Rear doors-2, Front doors-2, Dash Sides-2, Center Dash-1, Sub-Woofer-1. That equals 8 speakers...what am I missing?

Thanks, in advance, for your input. BTW: You guys are an amazing source of knowledge. I've already done the cabin air filter mod, and my allergies are thankful.

Oh, sorry this is off-topic, but how do you like the Rancho QL system?

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can upgrade the Alpine speakers although I am not seeing a huge improvement. The 3.5" dash upgrade is nice, better highs but it does not get louder as the amp is just too weak I guess (Ive read that people believe Chrysler is limiting the output and I can see why).

I would upgrade your dash speakers. There are 2 speakers in the headliner in the back seats that you are missing. 2.5" speakers.

As far as an update, Fox sent me the wrong sub box although I may just roll with it based on Etroze suggestion. Its 1.85 cu/ft ported @ 35hz from FoxAcoustics. Now for the 2nd issue. I did not do my homework (I thought I had read its a 6.75" magnet but I was wrong I guess, I was looking at too many subs) and ****** up on the SA-12. It wont fit a FoxBox due to the 7.5" magnet unfortunately. I may go **** around and maybe make a trim ring to raise it up as its only 1/2" too big.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just make sure you can get an inch behind the magnet for proper venting otherwise coils get hot quickly

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I did some test fitting with make shift spacers before I went and got some MDF.

How much clearance is under the seat with a fox box, would you have any idea? Im going to have to bring the sub up 1.5" to get it to completely clear the bowl of the box (2 3/4" MDF spacers). This will put the sub about 1.5" above the top of the box and Im worried about clearance against the seat.

Might have to end up buying a new sub and amp. I went with the SA-12 at the last second. Should have just stuck with the IDQ 12" and a 900w RMS 2ohm amp. Live and learn ;/

If there is not enough clearance, I will be returning the SA-12 and amp I purchased and get an IDQ and new amp (IDQ is 750RMS, current amp only puts out 700RMS @ 2ohm, unless I run it @ 1ohm which I dont really want to do).

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the larger boxes but mine is touching the bottom cloth. See pictures that I added to Cummins ho's post

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well if you can wire down to 1ohm and the amp is made for it, I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest thing is sub's with high xmax like the sa12 make sure you figure that in as well.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah. I will attempt the SA-12 this weekend. Going to grab a sheet of MDF and make a couple spacer rings to lift the sub up a little. I checked the clearance roughly and it looks like itll be ok under the rear seat but only a true fit will tell.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good stuff man be really cool to get one shoe horned into the truck.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So super duper **** up, kinda (feel like a ******* lol). I was in such a hurry to test fit the sub into the box that I temporarily set the tub backwards. I found this out when I tried to fit the box today. Flipped it 180* and the sub now fits! Awesome!

Tapped the factory sub wiring, and connected it to the LC2i. Temporarily wired up the sub and amp (it got dark, will run the wires tomorrow through the firewall). Got it all running. WOW. Im really not sure how anyone needs 2 12" subs for "personal" use. This 1 12" sub POUNDS. I could not imagine 2 of these in the RAM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990