Going back to factory from Linkswell - Some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed a Linkswell Gen 4 unit in my 2015 Ram 2500 a couple years ago, it has now given up the ghost so I am going to revert to the factory 8.4 unit (6 speaker system) and have some questions about how/if I can retain some of the additional upgrades I made when installing the Linkswell.

I installed 4 ohm JL Audio speakers in the dash so I am already planning on doing the 4 ohm resistor mod on those speakers but after double checking I found that the JL Audio speakers I installed in the front and rear doors are also 4 ohm speakers. Should I do the resistor mod on them as well?

I installed an amp and 2 subs under the rear seat. I already have a switched 12V source identified for the amp after I pull the Linkswell but how do I adapt the RCAs to the 8.4 unit?

Lastly, I added a front camera and am unsure how to add that to the factory unit. While doing whatever this mod requires I would also like to be able to view the rear camera while in motion if that is possible. Hoping to take care of all of this stuff at once so I don’t need to crack into the dash multiple times.

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I installed a Linkswell Gen 4 unit in my 2015 Ram 2500 a couple years ago, it has now given up the ghost so I am going to revert to the factory 8.4 unit (6 speaker system) and have some questions about how/if I can retain some of the additional upgrades I made when installing the Linkswell.

I installed 4 ohm JL Audio speakers in the dash so I am already planning on doing the 4 ohm resistor mod on those speakers but after double checking I found that the JL Audio speakers I installed in the front and rear doors are also 4 ohm speakers. Should I do the resistor mod on them as well?

I installed an amp and 2 subs under the rear seat. I already have a switched 12V source identified for the amp after I pull the Linkswell but how do I adapt the RCAs to the 8.4 unit?

Lastly, I added a front camera and am unsure how to add that to the factory unit. While doing whatever this mod requires I would also like to be able to view the rear camera while in motion if that is possible. Hoping to take care of all of this stuff at once so I don’t need to crack into the dash multiple times.

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom!
Are the speakers you upgraded too amplified (other than subs)?

The subs can take a hi level input from the rear doors. Either mono (use one side's input) or stereo (using both doors' inputs) it depends on your amp. You might need a LOC for the sub signal if your amp isn't capable of hi level inputs.

As far as cameras go, with a 2016+ 8.4 radio, you can do something similar to what I did to hijack the cargo camera input of the radio for additional camera feeds...

OP
OP
Gwerner74

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are the speakers you upgraded too amplified (other than subs)?

The subs can take a hi level input from the rear doors. Either mono (use one side's input) or stereo (using both doors' inputs) it depends on your amp. You might need a LOC for the sub signal if your amp isn't capable of hi level inputs.

As far as cameras go, with a 2016+ 8.4 radio, you can do something similar to what I did to hijack the cargo camera input of the radio for additional camera feeds...

Thanks for the input. The door and dash speakers are not amplified, just using the stock wiring from the radio harness.

I’ll look into the LOC. I thought I found a simple plug and play solution for the sub amp last night from T-Harness but u fortunately they are sold out.

My 8.4 is a 2015.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the input. The door and dash speakers are not amplified, just using the stock wiring from the radio harness.

I’ll look into the LOC. I thought I found a simple plug and play solution for the sub amp last night from T-Harness but u fortunately they are sold out.

My 8.4 is a 2015.
With a 2015, your options will be limited for camera options. You might consider upgrading to a UAQ/UAS 8.4 with Android Auto and Carplay.

The t harnesses are nice, but the signal can be grabbed for much cheaper if your amp can take speaker level input.

If you have money to spend, a Kicker Key 200.4 would be a great addition to the 8.4 radio. I installed one and I'm very happy with it in bi-amp mode. It will require new speaker wire running to the front four speakers though.

OP
OP
Gwerner74

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With a 2015, your options will be limited for camera options. You might consider upgrading to a UAQ/UAS 8.4 with Android Auto and Carplay.

The t harnesses are nice, but the signal can be grabbed for much cheaper if your amp can take speaker level input.

If you have money to spend, a Kicker Key 200.4 would be a great addition to the 8.4 radio. I installed one and I'm very happy with it in bi-amp mode. It will require new speaker wire running to the front four speakers though.

I considered upgrading the 8.4 but it’s a bit out of the budget right now. Now that the Linkswell is out I’m just going to go with an add on CarPlay screen. That will probably solve my front camera issue too.

I’m leaning toward the T-Harness simply because I already have the RCA and remote turn on run to the amp. I’ll take a look through the other threads tonight to figure out where I can grab the signal if I need to go that direction.

I’m pretty happy with the sound of the door speakers so I’m just going to stick with the stock inputs, just not sure if I should do the resistor mod to them since they are 4 ohm.

OP
OP
Gwerner74

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

So I'm going to abandon the camera integration for now and just focus on getting the subs up and running. My amp (Apline MRV-M500) does indeed support high power and standard power speaker level inputs so I'm guessing an LOC won't be required. Now I just need to figure out the easiest way to grab those signals. Seems like it would be easiest to tap into them behind the head unit and just run speaker wires back to the amp. Just feels like a waste of work since the RCA cable is already run back there.