Fuse on with gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting ready to put in some DRL halos into my headlights and I can make it to where the halos come on when my vehicle is on but I would rather them come on when I put it in drive. Any suggestions or fuses that I could tap into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm on 2012 - I am not sure if this could be done. I can't think of anything that sends voltage when the car is in drive only. My only guess would be to check wires going to the transmission and see if any test positive for 12v in D only.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Could install a switch in the linkage somehow, If you had a console shifter it would probably be easier.

Thinking about this a little backwards, if you could identify a circuit that was inactive when the truck is in gear and use a 5 pin relay to activate that circuit.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on a '12 is the gear selector notifier next to the shifter a true light or is it a mechanical slide? if a light you could possibly use that as a trigger for a relay.

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow I never even thought of checking the shifter. I'm gonna set the parking brake and run through all the fuse and see which ones are on for the truck being on and then put it in drive and see if any different ones come on

OP
OP
dhows31

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing with the fuses that I found. Uh what about the lights that come on the instrument cluster

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You wont find a single fuse that get "tripped" you may find a wire at the cluster that acts as a trigger. or then again it may be can bus so a no-go.