Installed Diode Dynamics LED taillights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Just installed a pair of these in my baby:

2011-2015 Ram 1500 Rear Turn Signal LEDs (pair)

Ordered them with only one pair of resistors (which I used on the turn signal side), and they work fine. No griping, hyperflashing, or anything else.

(NOTE: I have the standard, non-fancy cluster. If you have the enhanced one, you may need more resistors.)

They are a bit brighter than stock, just like advertised. This is the middle of the road (HP11) pair. If I really wanted to annihilate people behind me when I hit the brakes, I would have gotten the high-end set (XP80).

A bit expensive, but every bit as pleasant to deal with as Retroshop or SuperBright.

"After" pics to follow (once it gets dark and I can get some good ones). I didn't take any "before" ones, sorry.

Loaded

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Any chance you tinted your tail lights? I'm going to VHT my tails and wanted to see what a brighter bulb would look like

OP
OP
darthdzl

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Any chance you tinted your tail lights? I'm going to VHT my tails and wanted to see what a brighter bulb would look like

Nope. Dead stock except for the LED bulbs.

Also, I forgot that I never uploaded the pics. So here they are (all taken without flash):

Parking lights from behind truck
KICHyF4.jpg

Left parking light from directly behind it
h0dovpu.jpg

Brake lights from behind truck
OcXlaDk.jpg

Left brake light from directly behind it
AjCrcGr.jpg

The cool circle each parking light leaves on the wall behind it when I'm close to the wall (and the brakes, much brighter).
tB040al.jpg

OP
OP
darthdzl

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Okay, got a small problem. Calling all LED gurus...

A few weeks ago, I installed the taillight bulbs and a pair of resistors (on the turn signal circuit). No problems. They work great, day or night. No computer griping.

A couple days ago, I installed the front marker light/turn signal bulbs. I didn't install the resistors in the front because it's really tight quarters in there.

With the headlights off, no problems.

When I turn on the headlights (or even just marker lights) and start using my turn signals, on the computer gripes that my front turn signals are out and I get hyperflashing on my dashboard indicator. The lights ARE working fine and flashing at the normal rate, but the computer thinks they're both out.

However, if I turn the headlights off and start using the turn signals again, it clears up. So, it's only having a problem seeing the front lights if the parking lights are on.

Does this indicate that I need to install the other pair of resistors on the parking light circuit (hopefully in the back, where there's room)? I'm only guessing that because: a) lots of people here say you need resistors on both circuits, and b) they're fine unless the parking lights are on.

Or do I need to bite the bullet and find some way to mount resistors in a space so small that I had troubles getting my hand in there to remove/replace the bulbs in the first place?

OP
OP
darthdzl

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Hate to bump, but I was hoping to hear from someone with lots of LED experience.