Keep the old or go with new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've currently got some Polk Audio MM6501's and MM651's that I'd like to keep and put in my RAM 1500 sport. Crutchfield says they won't fit, but they also said they wouldn't fit in to the vehicle I currently have them in. Scosche makes an adapter bracket to put 6.5's in the 6.9 spots, so I'm sure I can make them work.

What I'd like to know is your opinions on replacing the 6x9's with the 6.5's or if should I stick with stock size when I upgrade my speakers?

Also, if using my MOMO's is fine, does the stock Alpine system provide enough power to make them sound good or am I going to want hook up my JL Audio 300/4v2 amp?

On a side note, I saw some mention of the signal that the Alpine HU puts out being flat. Is that true or am I going to need a DSP to fix the signal?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for the audio guru's in this thread. I've currently got some Polk Audio MM6501's and MM651's that I'd like to keep and put in my RAM 1500 sport. Crutchfield says they won't fit, but they also said they wouldn't fit in to the vehicle I currently have them in. Scosche makes an adapter bracket to put 6.5's in the 6.9 spots.

What I'd like to know is your opinions on replacing the 6x9's with the 6.5's or if should I stick with stock size when I upgrade my speakers?

Also, if using my MOMO's is fine, does the stock HU provide enough power to make them sound good or am I going to want hook up my JL Audio 300/4v2 amp?

On a side note, I saw some mention of the signal that the Alpine HU puts out being flat. Is that true or am I going to need a DSP to fix the signal?

First question is if you have the base system or the Alpine one?

Beyond that I will ALWAYS vote for adding an amp vs using stock head unit power. Some aftermarket head units have decent amps in them but the stock one definitely does not.

It's fairly easy to drop 6.5s into a 6x9 hole and there are many adapters and kits made for it. Since you already have and like (I'm assuming) the Polks I don't see any reason to buy 6x9s unless you really want to.

Tom

<copied/pasted from the previous thread>

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First question is if you have the base system or the Alpine one?

I edited the post to (hopefully) convey that I do have the Alpine system. lol

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You said in the other thread that you have the Alpine system. That makes a huge difference vs the base system. For starters the Alpine uses 2 ohm speakers and has crossover functions built into the amp.

Since I see that you mentioned a DSP I'll assume you have some experience with better systems. It used to be a huge pain in the ass to get a solid, flat, full range signal from the Alpine system. Luckily PAC has come out with the AmPro CH-41 which gives you either RCA or Toslink output from the factory system. A few of us here have used them with great success. From there you can run directly to amps or into a DSP and then your amps.

AmpPRO Amplifier Interface Module

TomT

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Ya those polk are 2.3 ohm I believe and can easily handle 120 watts from personal experience. Those tweets are super loud. I don't see how they wouldn't fit depth wise. Get some 6x9 adapter plates are you're all set. +1 for an amp. Otherwise the head unit will clip trying to push them.

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You said in the other thread that you have the Alpine system. That makes a huge difference vs the base system. For starters the Alpine uses 2 ohm speakers and has crossover functions built into the amp.

Since I see that you mentioned a DSP I'll assume you have some experience with better systems. It used to be a huge pain in the ass to get a solid, flat, full range signal from the Alpine system. Luckily PAC has come out with the AmPro CH-41 which gives you either RCA or Toslink output from the factory system. A few of us here have used them with great success. From there you can run directly to amps or into a DSP and then your amps.

AmpPRO Amplifier Interface Module

TomT

How does the AmPro compare to the JL Audio FiX-86? Do they do the same thing? I already have the FiX to help with my current setup.

JL Audio FiX-86

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ya those polk are 2.3 ohm I believe and can easily handle 120 watts from personal experience. Those tweets are super loud. I don't see how they wouldn't fit depth wise. Get some 6x9 adapter plates are you're all set. +1 for an amp. Otherwise the head unit will clip trying to push them.

They are 2.7-ohm according to crutchfield. The Polk Audio site doesn't list the details on them anymore. Not sure how much of difference that makes. I've always had these installed with my JL amp, but it's pretty big, so if I don't need it, I'll skip it.

Polk Audio MM651
Polk Audio MM6501

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
With these adapter plates, I can mount the components in the front door and I'll still be able to run the 3.5's in the dash. Is that overkill or will it be fine?

Scosche SA-69

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I would separate those components. Just the 6.75 in the door spot. Either put the tweets in the dash spot or in the sail panel by the mirror. I would omit the factory 3.5 speaker. It's going to be really bright in your cab. More isn't always better.