Need help with differences between 6 speaker and 9 speaker...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've been humoring the idea of ditching the factory alpine amp in favor of the 6 speaker base amp. But I can't find anything on it. Called up the parts house, gave them a vin for a 6 speaker equipped ram I found online and their system doesn't pull up an amp.
But in another thread I mentioned how I thought the 8.4A was the 6 speaker and 8.4AN was alpine only but it's not I guess.
So which is it? Does the 6 speaker have a different head unit that contains an internal amp? Or are the head units the same with the only difference being the amp?
Really trying to get rid of the bass roll off issues from the alpine system. I've thought about adding the kicker amp but in my mind if the 6 speaker does not have roll off, it might be cheaper to go this route.
I'm a bit lost on this. Really wish i would have joined the forum before purchasing. Never imagined is have this many issues from a "premium" system.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 6 speaker system does not have an amp. Only the Alpine setup does.

The difference between the a and an is that the an comes with 3d navigation and HD Radio.

OP
OP
J

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Okay so the 6 speaker is driven by the head unit which I assume has different hardware otherwise 9 speaker guys would have been removing their amps long ago. And the diff between A and AN is probably just in the software.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get an Audio Control LC2i that is about the best way to correct that roll off without getting into the weeds.

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
Oh don't kid yourself. Guys are still removing the amps. Although I like the alpine system, a true aftermarket set up can be a night and day difference if setting up a quality build.

OP
OP
J

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had thought about that, but never heard the lc2i do it's work in that area. When I think about it, it reminds me of that old DVD HD upscaling. Which really wasn't good you know? I just can't imagine it works too good and probably has some side effects. But i really don't know personally.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay so the 6 speaker is driven by the head unit which I assume has different hardware otherwise 9 speaker guys would have been removing their amps long ago. And the diff between A and AN is probably just in the software.

The hardware is slightly different because of the HD Radio and Nav but the audio out of the a and an are the same. Where it gets tricky with the Alpine system is that the audio out of the HU feeds the Alpine and then the volume knob controls the amp, not the head unit.

OP
OP
J

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks troutspinner, yeah I know the amp is integral on the alpine system. It's where all the bad stuff happens to the radio and you can't really remove it because it has a lot more going to and through it than just music. I guess inside I had some hope that knowing Chrysler it would be a simple amp swap since they like to keep things pretty universal across the board.

Etroze86, I did a little educating myself on the LC2i and decided to give it a chance. Lol my signal flow will be fun on this truck.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good stuff man, I've used its big brother lc7i with great results. Hope everything works out, alpine is the Bain of existences to stereo guy on this forum lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good stuff man, I've used its big brother lc7i with great results. Hope everything works out, alpine is the Bain of existences to stereo guy on this forum lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Glad you were happy with the 7i that makes me feel a little better about the 2i's ability to correct the roll off with accubass. Yeah the alpine system presents some challenges. It will be one of the more intensive installs I've done. Was hoping to have already started a build log for everyone to see but had some delays so it's being pushed back until spring break. Being a full time college student and full time employee is tough time management wise. If I wasn't flying home to AK for Christmas I'd already had the truck stripped out. Oh well.
I did manage to get a new lc2i for under $60 from jet.com using their 15% off coupon if anyone is looking for one! Jet.com is reputable in case you hadn't heard of them. They are a new amazon competitor.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope everything works out, alpine is the Bain of existences to stereo guy on this forum lol.

Truer words have never been spoken. I've wanted to rip it out more than once.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6 speaker system does not have an amp. Only the Alpine setup does.

The difference between the a and an is that the an comes with 3d navigation and HD Radio.

false i had the hd radio and 3d maps in my '13 outdoorsman that was non alpine. only thing different when i went to my '15 laramie was i gained the alpine amp and speakers.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
false i had the hd radio and 3d maps in my '13 outdoorsman that was non alpine. only thing different when i went to my '15 laramie was i gained the alpine amp and speakers.

You are mis-reading it. The 6 speaker system does not have an amp. STOP (old telegram line ;) )

And then the next part is the difference between the a and an, not amp related.

GuardiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1.Where does the LC2i connect...between head unit and amp or after amp and speaker out puts.
2. Aren't these unit line output controllers/dsp's. I would love to have some ability to do more than T/MidB/B...I know get a aftermarket head. We like the 730rhr and all its function ability.
3. Switch phase (ala Kicker tech support ) of subwoofer and it made a huge SQ difference...Ive heard there is a breakin period(I have SRAMCQ09)...this seems to be true