Power for aux lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Withthe new can bus systems where is it safe to tap power for a bumper mount light bar on a 2014 2500?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the battery. i wouldnt want to pull power from anywhere else for a lightbar, imo.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
light bars dont draw a ton of current. If you want them to shut off with the truck use an ignition source but relay it. that way what ever circuit you use its only a trigger and not putting on a draw. Now if you want them to turn on whenever even when the truck is off then directly to the battery

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
light bars dont draw a ton of current. If you want them to shut off with the truck use an ignition source but relay it. that way what ever circuit you use its only a trigger and not putting on a draw. Now if you want them to turn on whenever even when the truck is off then directly to the battery

Relay is key if you are going to hook up any aux anything.

OP
OP
W

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Using an ignition source wont upset the canbus?

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using an ignition source wont upset the canbus?

for my accessories that I added, i took trigger from the cigarette lighter and constant from the battery and ground is obvious. things have worked out well so far. I have two heated seats I added in hooked up that way. Make sue you take the extra step and add a fuse as well. Extra protection.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With using a Relay No.

But there are many ways to add aux power for accessories or lights. LED bars don't draw much current so you can tie many together.
My personal choice when adding things to a vehicle is go direct of the battery to a auxiliary weather tight fuse box, then you can add as many circuits as you want being that you don't over load the fuse size on the direct to battery connection.

then the possibilities are endless from there as you can supply source power from that aux fuse box and have a trigger wire set up off a OEM circuit if using a relay, something like the headlights, or cargo light circuit or just by simply adding a toggle switch.

I don't know your level of knowledge on wiring but do some searches on the ole google or youtube for some how to videos that will give a visual and probably explain it better than I can.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There several circuits identified in some of the schematics that can be tapped into for auxiliary lights and such, both are inline with the power ports on the dash/console and can be tapped easily behind the center console bezel. One other place I tapped was under the drivers seat there are several keyed wires that had nothing on them in my work truck. I think they were for seat heat or something else my work truck didn't have? I'd have to look but all of those locations were 30 fused/keyed circuits if I'm not mistaken. I'll check for sure when I get back to work. Hope this helps.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
W

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB