Trailer plug power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi.. sitting with mangled foot and thinking about a future project of powering a light to the 7 pin hitch light plug. Currently the light is plugged into the trailer hitch plug . I want to tap into the power wire of that hitch light plug behind the bumper.
Anyone know on the 2021 Ram Classic DS 1500 what power and neg wires I can tap into? Lost my power indicator probe.
Anyway if anyone has time just to drop me a line while my foot mends .. it would give me something to visualize.. cheers

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi.. sitting with mangled foot and thinking about a future project of powering a light to the 7 pin hitch light plug. Currently the light is plugged into the trailer hitch plug . I want to tap into the power wire of that hitch light plug behind the bumper.
Anyone know on the 2021 Ram Classic DS 1500 what power and neg wires I can tap into? Lost my power indicator probe.
Anyway if anyone has time just to drop me a line while my foot mends .. it would give me something to visualize.. cheers
Are you trying to tap into the reverse light, or all of them? Because there are adapters to make it all plug and play... Like this one.. converts to a 5 pin flat, so you'd have turn, brake, running and reverse. Just remove the harness off the back of the 7 pin and plug this in line. Retains all functions at the bumper plug, but gives you an an extra 5 pin to use. Just wire up your hitch light with the wires you need to a 5 pin male. Like I said, it'd then be 100% plug and play, no splicing needed.
Oyviny 56584 USCAR 7 Pin to 5 Pin Trailer Wiring Harness for Installing LED Tailgate Light Bar with Reverse Lights, USCAR Socket to 5 Pin Adapter https://a.co/d/gQWgUyT

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1706084888026.png

Ground is White
Battery + is Black
Reverse / Aux is Yellow

Also, if you have a 5 pin FLAT connector, the pin furthest from the ground is also the Yellow / reverse (used for boat trailer disc brakes).

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Think I found a diagram.. blue is ground and power is red.. is that correct ?View attachment 536074
Careful, the color callouts are for the typical wiring harness that comes with trailer items like a light kit. I don't know what color the wires are in the RAM harness that feeds the 7-pin socket.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys..to be clear I currently have the little lite sitting in the hitch receiver and flat plug plugged into the trailer hitch plug on the truck. I just thought it better to not have that trailer hitch plug exposed to the elements the way it is because of that flat plug insert. SO thought i could tap into power for that little Ram light up behind the bumper somewhere on that hitch plug harness..hope that is kinda clear..thanks..here's a pic of the set upIMG_1293.jpgIMG_1294.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357