Push to start not turning truck off on first try.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, my first minor issue I have with my 2015 MC is that when I pull in my parking space and go to shut off my truck, about 75% of the time I shift it into parks and hit the push button to off? Nothing happens and the truck says "truck not in park" JD won't shut off. I move the shift lever back into drive and then into park and the button will then turn the truck off.

Any ideas other than taking to dealer to get fixed? Opinions on what causes this? It bothers me a bit but will probably wait until June when I take it in for our pre-trip service for our Montana road trip at end of July.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have noticed on mine 8 speed knob - that if I turn it to park and immediately hit push button to turn it off it won't turn off because it hasn't had enough time to actually put it in park.

I know you have the column shifter, but if you waited a second or two longer to turn it off could it make a difference?

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As quietpeen said, it may help to wait a little more time between shifting to park and hitting the button. I have a keyed ignition and rotary shifter, but I've also gotten the "not in park" message sometimes if I turn the key off too quickly after shifting to park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, my first minor issue I have with my 2015 MC is that when I pull in my parking space and go to shut off my truck, about 75% of the time I shift it into parks and hit the push button to off? Nothing happens and the truck says "truck not in park" JD won't shut off. I move the shift lever back into drive and then into park and the button will then turn the truck off.

Any ideas other than taking to dealer to get fixed? Opinions on what causes this? It bothers me a bit but will probably wait until June when I take it in for our pre-trip service for our Montana road trip at end of July.
Just wondering skrap, when you mentioned your trip to Montana; where do you live? I'm in Spokane.

Sent from that thing I carry around

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering skrap, when you mentioned your trip to Montana; where do you live? I'm in Spokane.

Never mind. I see you're in Orange county.. A considerable distance south.. No matter in the virtual world. My daughter lives in Sherman Oaks.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Bringing this back to life with a minor update. So, this issue, while a bit irritating it hasn't bothered me too much because i know matter what the issues is it will be covered under my factory/maxcare warranty. We are leaving on Thursday for our 4K mile round trip to Oklahoma and back on Thursday. So, last Monday i took the Mega Cab into the local dealer to get the fluids changed and front shaft lubed and for them to finally fix the ignition button and actually make it turn the truck off when i push it to turn it off.

First half of Monday they had all the PM service stuff done. THey checked back with me every day and could figure out the issue. Apparently someone (FCA?) told them to reflash the truck or whatever and that didn't work. Techs checked all wires, connections, etc. They were actually being honest, as far as i can tell, and seemed to be giving a concerted effort. I finally told my service guy that i gotta have the truck back this weekend so i can prep it for out road trip on Thursday. HE seemed genuinely eager to get my truck back in after my trip for his guys to tackle the issue as he told me they have not had this issue show up on any vehicles with this problem.

THe big update is there is not fix currently from my dealer. Any of you had this issue recently and got fixed at the dealer? If so, what did they do to fix the push button start/stop issue?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just hold your finger on the button till it turns off versus just a push. Works every time for me

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Bringing this back to life with a minor update. So, this issue, while a bit irritating it hasn't bothered me too much because i know matter what the issues is it will be covered under my factory/maxcare warranty. We are leaving on Thursday for our 4K mile round trip to Oklahoma and back on Thursday. So, last Monday i took the Mega Cab into the local dealer to get the fluids changed and front shaft lubed and for them to finally fix the ignition button and actually make it turn the truck off when i push it to turn it off.

First half of Monday they had all the PM service stuff done. THey checked back with me every day and could figure out the issue. Apparently someone (FCA?) told them to reflash the truck or whatever and that didn't work. Techs checked all wires, connections, etc. They were actually being honest, as far as i can tell, and seemed to be giving a concerted effort. I finally told my service guy that i gotta have the truck back this weekend so i can prep it for out road trip on Thursday. HE seemed genuinely eager to get my truck back in after my trip for his guys to tackle the issue as he told me they have not had this issue show up on any vehicles with this problem.

The big update is there is not fix currently from my dealer. Any of you had this issue recently and got fixed at the dealer? If so, what did they do to fix the push button start/stop issue?

Skrap.....have your tech change the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node) module. Some of the keyed versions go bad and will not shut the truck off , the WIN keeps reading that the key is still in the ignition. While I know yours is a pushbutton, I think it definitely is worth a try since it sounds like a similar problem . I pasted a youtube video of someone replacing it to give you an idea of what it is. It is simple to change out. Hope this helps, good luck...

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Just hold your finger on the button till it turns off versus just a push. Works every time for me

Tried and after about 30 seconds i gave up and shifted back and forth a few times and it turned off.