Instrument gauge lights not turning off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
My first electrical gremlin has made an appearance. This issue has been resolved but I thought I'd post about it to assist other people that may be experiencing the same problem.

'22 Classic with about 3,800 miles on the odo.

I happened to notice (thankfully) that the lights on my instrument cluster remained on after the truck was turned off and locked with the fob. Tried a couple of things real quick that didn't work so I went online and discovered that this has happened to others. In the cases that I read about, it drains the battery because it goes unnoticed.

Long story short, I removed the negative cable from the battery and went about doing chores. I hooked the cable back up about an hour later and the issue was corrected.

I'm sure I haven't heard the last of this. Now, every time I park the truck, I stand there to watch the light go out :confused:

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
There is a recall on it. Someone posted their notice received in the mail yesterday on the forums. Check in your Ram Owners portal and see if it's there.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

It's funny because I had called the service department of my local dealership while I was trying to figure out a solution. They told me that they hadn't heard of this problem before.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Just wanted to post an update on this:

chopperman1 was correct. I just received the notice in the mail recently. Basically, they want to update the software of the the ESM (Electronic Shift Module) in order to correct this issue. Not a big deal but it's a slight inconvenience.

A software issue related to the shifter seems like a weird thing to start happening on a 4th gen. Obviously, they changed something because the software code should be well established at this point. Perhaps this has something to do with a code change to make the truck go into PARK if the door is open?? Not sure when that was put in place. Other than that, I can't imagine what would change in the software to cause this issue.

Anyway, I'll post an update with my dealership experience when this gets completed.

Klkerr24

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 big horn new body style
Just wanted to post an update on this:

chopperman1 was correct. I just received the notice in the mail recently. Basically, they want to update the software of the the ESM (Electronic Shift Module) in order to correct this issue. Not a big deal but it's a slight inconvenience.

A software issue related to the shifter seems like a weird thing to start happening on a 4th gen. Obviously, they changed something because the software code should be well established at this point. Perhaps this has something to do with a code change to make the truck go into PARK if the door is open?? Not sure when that was put in place. Other than that, I can't imagine what would change in the software to cause this issue.

Anyway, I'll post an update with my dealership experience when this gets completed.
I’m experiencing the same thing, drained my battery. Replaced it then caught my dash on and lite up saying “ press pedal to start” at 3am. Taking it to the dealer Friday morning hoping it’s under warranty.38k miles.

You think it’s just a firmware patch? Most likely a reflash of the ESM?

Thanks hope you get this resolved!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had called the service department of my local dealership while I was trying to figure out a solution. They told me that they hadn't heard of this problem before.
Typical dealership lines, "never heard of this problem before" then after they check out the truck "NTF"
Perhaps this has something to do with a code change to make the truck go into PARK if the door is open?? Not sure when that was put in place. Other than that, I can't imagine what would change in the software to cause this issue.
The code to put the truck in Park when the door is opened started back around the '16-'17 model year but has been retrofitted to all model years with the ZF 8 speed.
With the way all the modules in the truck talk to each other, just about any of them can cause a "keep awake" of the dash lighting.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The letter I received suggests that it's just a patch. It stated that the fix would take approx. 30 minutes.

Typical dealership lines, "never heard of this problem before" then after they check out the truck "NTF"
Yes, of course. When I mentioned that other owners were reporting the same issue online, he smugly explained to me that they pay no attention to forums or the internet. Apparently, it didn't matter that I was speaking to him with first hand experience. That's exactly why I didn't bring the truck in to get looked at before receiving this letter. It would have been a total waste of my time. They won't accept any information that comes from outside their bubble.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I was at the dealership on Friday morning to get this recall sorted out. No drama. After they checked me in, it took about 30 minutes and I was on my way. Hopefully that's the last recall letter I receive.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I was at the dealership on Friday morning to get this recall sorted out. No drama. After they checked me in, it took about 30 minutes and I was on my way. Hopefully that's the last recall letter I receive.
Did it solve your issue?

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Did it solve your issue?
I hope so; time will tell. I had it happen once prior to the update and removing the negative battery connector took care of it. It didn't re-occur after that occasion.

Hopefully, this software update put it to rest for good.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope so; time will tell. I had it happen once prior to the update and removing the negative battery connector took care of it. It didn't re-occur after that occasion.

Hopefully, this software update put it to rest for good.
Mine got updated and I never had the issue, I hope it doesn’t reverse that!

bjs1272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2022 and have experienced the issue, the dealer advised its when the key fob is left too close to the truck and to keep it at least 75 feet away so that the truck doesn't detect the fob and can go to sleep.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Almost daily I have the opportunity to pick someone up or give them a ride, and I will turn the truck off and watch the dash lights go off while I am still sitting in the driver's seat, RKE fob still in my pocket.

I don't think I have 75 feet between the driveway and anywhere in my house. I don't have this issue. I have a 2014 Laramie. Is this 4th Gen, or 5th Gen, or model year specific?
Also, I have not received any recall letters.

Is this dealer serious?

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2022 and have experienced the issue, the dealer advised its when the key fob is left too close to the truck and to keep it at least 75 feet away so that the truck doesn't detect the fob and can go to sleep.
I stand right next to my truck and watch the cluster and all go off as well…BS unless what above asked do you have a 5th gen with push to start?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I've seen my dash cluster lights stay on before and eventually they would go off. Time to go off wasn't anything consistent in my case. I got tired of worrying about my batteries getting drained (and did have a couple low battery episodes) so did this:

Bought Y plug, so I could connect my battery charger and when needed my block heater with one quick disconnection.

I used this battery charger and a piece of 3/4" marine board (cutting board material) and mounted up behind my right front bumper. Counter sinking the two self taping screws that hold the marine board (one special shaped so remains flat, the 2nd layer the battery charger mounts to - for total of 1.5" deep in mount up in front of right tire just behind the bumper.) FYI - You do you, but I bought my battery charger used off of Ebay for like $31 shipped, so you can do this cheaper if you just watch for some deals. Mine was like in pics barely used. I figure save a couple $$ while I prove out my solution, and it's working great!!

The battery leads I cut off on the charger and extended with my own soldered cabling to the battery posts for connecting. I also wrapped the wiring up for any rubbing/shorting out issues later in life to prevent, and moved the fuse close to the + battery terminal.

I hook the battery charger connection with this cover - not sure this is REALLY needed, but to help keep out the moisture. Also have seen on video's others just wrapping with electrical tape. What ever works for you. This cover is made in USA - so there's that.

And connect the block heater to the other connection when needed when it cold. Obviously NOT using it now! Man it's HOT!!

I would like to find an end plug to seal up the other plug when not in use on the Y cable just to keep the moisture out better - but I'm sure I'll run into one someday. :)

Works great! I don't daily drive my truck, so just keep it plugged in so batteries always topped off! AND if the gauge cluster light does stay on for some amount of time, I won't come out to a dead battery situation.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

Santa Fe Ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel, Ram 2500
I’m experiencing the same thing, drained my battery. Replaced it then caught my dash on and lite up saying “ press pedal to start” at 3am. Taking it to the dealer Friday morning hoping it’s under warranty.38k miles.

Thanks hope you get this resolved!

Something is draining my 2022 2500 Pick-up​

Santa Fe Ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I'll look into that.

It's funny because I had called the service department of my local dealership while I was trying to figure out a solution. They told me that they hadn't heard of this problem before.
My 2022 - 2500, has been into 3 different dealerships here in Texas. The exact same problem, dash light won't go off, drains the battery. Batteries have been swapped out, it has been in the shop for a total of 11 days (for the same issue), 3 different times. When the weather gets colder or its going to set more than overnight, I've learned to disconnect both my batteries so I have enough voltage for my Glo-Plugs to function. Dead/nothing, Hotel in Woodlands, Airport in Austin, inside my barn for 3 days.
I'm impressed that a Forum (like this one) has a reasonable solution and these so-called top-rated service departments don't know or don't care. How do you find out about a re-call?

Santa Fe Ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen my dash cluster lights stay on before and eventually they would go off. Time to go off wasn't anything consistent in my case. I got tired of worrying about my batteries getting drained (and did have a couple low battery episodes) so did this:

Bought Y plug, so I could connect my battery charger and when needed my block heater with one quick disconnection.

I used this battery charger and a piece of 3/4" marine board (cutting board material) and mounted up behind my right front bumper. Counter sinking the two self taping screws that hold the marine board (one special shaped so remains flat, the 2nd layer the battery charger mounts to - for total of 1.5" deep in mount up in front of right tire just behind the bumper.) FYI - You do you, but I bought my battery charger used off of Ebay for like $31 shipped, so you can do this cheaper if you just watch for some deals. Mine was like in pics barely used. I figure save a couple $$ while I prove out my solution, and it's working great!!

The battery leads I cut off on the charger and extended with my own soldered cabling to the battery posts for connecting. I also wrapped the wiring up for any rubbing/shorting out issues later in life to prevent, and moved the fuse close to the + battery terminal.

I hook the battery charger connection with this cover - not sure this is REALLY needed, but to help keep out the moisture. Also have seen on video's others just wrapping with electrical tape. What ever works for you. This cover is made in USA - so there's that.

And connect the block heater to the other connection when needed when it cold. Obviously NOT using it now! Man it's HOT!!

I would like to find an end plug to seal up the other plug when not in use on the Y cable just to keep the moisture out better - but I'm sure I'll run into one someday. :)

Works great! I don't daily drive my truck, so just keep it plugged in so batteries always topped off! AND if the gauge cluster light does stay on for some amount of time, I won't come out to a dead battery situation.

Hope this helps someone!
You are suggesting, I install a remote plug in? 87,000.00 pick-up and I need to install a secondary shut off and start switch? What about warranty issues, you think Dodge won't use the re-mote off-on switch to make any warranty null and void?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
My 2022 - 2500, has been into 3 different dealerships here in Texas. The exact same problem, dash light won't go off, drains the battery. Batteries have been swapped out, it has been in the shop for a total of 11 days (for the same issue), 3 different times. When the weather gets colder or its going to set more than overnight, I've learned to disconnect both my batteries so I have enough voltage for my Glo-Plugs to function. Dead/nothing, Hotel in Woodlands, Airport in Austin, inside my barn for 3 days.
I'm impressed that a Forum (like this one) has a reasonable solution and these so-called top-rated service departments don't know or don't care. How do you find out about a re-call?
Use this site to register your vehicle by VIN, and then you can see any/all recalls that apply for your specific vehicle.

Mopar Site

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
You are suggesting, I install a remote plug in? 87,000.00 pick-up and I need to install a secondary shut off and start switch? What about warranty issues, you think Dodge won't use the re-mote off-on switch to make any warranty null and void?
I was just sharing that I put in an on board battery charger for my truck, that includes an second plugin so in winter I can plug in my block heater at the same time while being all hidden behind the bumper. I did this due to witnessing my dash lights staying on for an extended amount of time with no FOB around my truck, and did have a couple low battery issues. For me, making it easy to plug in and since it's not a daily driver it's taken all of my frustration away.

In your case with parking your truck at the airport, hotel, etc it won't help in those situations if you're losing battery overnight. Create yourself an account I left link above and see if the recall is on your list of things to do. FYI...I also noticed when getting link this morning to answer your Q, that my truck has that Emission update 67A. You might want to read up about that one if yours has it HERE . Personally I won't be getting that one on my truck - as in ever. Won't be an issue for me since I don't have dealership work on mine. But thought I would mention since you may have that other update to take care of your power issue coming.