speaker and amp install with aftermarket HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMthevbied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I have checked the posts as best I could and I can't find an answer (maybe it's due to the midnight shift work or my laziness but either way I need help). I have a 2012 1500 Express and I'm currently running a Pioneer 2500BT W/O nav, which is hooked up by a PAC C2R-CHYNA harness. I'm going to replace all speakers (6 total non alpine sys) with 3.5 JBL (dash), 6x9 MB Quatz ref (front), and 5.25 MB Quartz (rear), but before I do I'm looking to install a 4 channel amp to help power the speakers (no specific brand yet) and possibly a sub in time. My question is.... how do I wire the speakers to the amp, while utilizing the PAC harness? Do I cut and splice the speaker wires from the PAC harness to the amp or should I cut and splice the speakers wires from the HU to the amp. I have decent experience in wiring and electronics (no noob, but no expert either), but I have yet to encounter the infamous CANBUS system until now. Please keep in mind that I don't want to remove the PAC harness and tap into a constant 12V power source and then run new speaker wire unless I absolutely have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that Pioneer 2500 has low level outputs (RCA's) that you can run to the new amp. As for how you want to run your speakers with a four channel amp I would run the 3.5s off of the headunit and the two other sets off the amp. The other suggestiong to save a little money is get rid of the rears as they mess up imaging and drag your sound to the rear of the vehicle. PM me with the specs on your speakers I have a couple of 4channels amps that are new in box lying around if you want to buy one.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My question is.... how do I wire the speakers to the amp, while utilizing the PAC harness?

Like etroze said, you have RCA cables that run from the head unit to the amp to feed it signal. Then you run speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. So yes, you will have to run new speaker wires. If you want to use head unit power to run the speakers then you will just use the harness

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do these really fit in the front?
6x9 MB Quatz ref (front)

OP
OP
R

RAMthevbied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured that I would have to run new wires, but I'm curious to know if hooking the speakers up through the OEM wiring and then running speaker wires from the amp to the PAC harness and splicing into that would be an option? I'm assuming I can keep the radio harness and PAC connection for the dash speakers (thus powered off the HU) and then severe the connections for the rest of the speakers from the HU harness and the PAC. Then rewire/splice those speakers wires from the PAC to the amp. Again I'm assuming that this would provide power to the speakers and allow me to keep the PAC harness with it's remote turn on and constant power wiring, that interfaces with the vehicle CANBUS system. Also while I'm still on the PAC harness, if kept can i tap into the remote turn on lead (which is already connected the the HU harness) for the amp's remote turn on, thus eliminating the need to wire this to the fuse box or other source?????? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd rather do it once correctly instead of trying multiple options. Thanks again!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok lets step through this so we can make it less confusing and use a few terms that will clarify what I think you are looking for.
1. Signal for amplifier will come from RCA connects on the back of the HU.(Labled Front, Rear, Sub)
2. Pac harrness is out of the equation everything you need will be on the HU side of the harrness, PAC is just to integrate an aftermarket HU.
3. No need to cut up harnesses to use the HU amplifier to say the dash speakers. Just get plugs off of crutchfield or make your own to connect to stock speaker harnesses in the dash or doors.
4. Remote turn on will be ran off the blue wire from your HU straight to the amp. Some people like to put a fuse in here but I don't think its that nessacary.
5. Just remember PAC harness is for OEM integration and should not be cut up, at least I can't think of a good reason to at this moment.
Hope this helps a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990