Sub recommendations..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
My previous setup was 2 x JL W6 10s.. The original series. These subs are old.

I need to either get these repaired (the surround is deteriorating on both).. Or, buy two other subs.

These would be going in my crewcab..

What would you guys do? Repair JLs or replace with something newer? If newer, what would you go with? I'm looking at RE SEXs...

Other question.. Where the hell can I mount my monster zapco 24"+ long amp plus my Alpine 4-ch?

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
My previous setup was 2 x JL W6 10s.. The original series. These subs are old.

I need to either get these repaired (the surround is deteriorating on both).. Or, buy two other subs.

These would be going in my crewcab..

What would you guys do? Repair JLs or replace with something newer? If newer, what would you go with? I'm looking at RE SEXs...

Other question.. Where the hell can I mount my monster zapco 24"+ long amp plus my Alpine 4-ch?

Those RE's look nice on paper. I've never heard them. I have some DC Labs Level 2's in 10 DVC's and love them!!

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
RE's & DC's are both great subs....also a co. called FI builds great products. these 3 co. normally build competition subs so you know you are getting quality stuff.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Yeah. Forgot about Fi. Last I heard they were pretty far behind on orders and the well regarded customer service was slipping. Still a good company though.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
What is the price point on DCs? They don't publish so I have no idea what they go for..

I'm going for sound quality.. Still considering a single sub over two, depending on the quality of the sub..

Any input on the amp mounting? In my F150 CC, the mounting spot was on the back wall. I could fit a wall of fun back there...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think would would be a little disappointed on the SQ department with the RE. Last one I heard was really really boomy but it also looked like he had it in a very large box. I loved my w6v2 when I had it and wouldn't think twice about repairing it and have a couple of solid SQ subs. I am also a fan of Sundown audio, Skar audio, Soundqubed, and FI audio. Good luck with your install and should be pretty beastly with that Zapco.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
whats the thickness of the amp? and in my single cab there is a wall made of cardboard covered in carpet or something like that and when i removed it, it had +/- 3 inches of extra depth.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I would look into Image Dynamics IDMAX subwoofers or Arc Audio's Black series.
They are both very, very good sq subs.
Or you could go with JL's 10w3...their sq sub

Getting that Zapco installed may be your biggest obstacle

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
I think would would be a little disappointed on the SQ department with the RE. Last one I heard was really really boomy but it also looked like he had it in a very large box. I loved my w6v2 when I had it and wouldn't think twice about repairing it and have a couple of solid SQ subs. I am also a fan of Sundown audio, Skar audio, Soundqubed, and FI audio. Good luck with your install and should be pretty beastly with that Zapco.

Yeah, it's killing me to think of not using my w6v2's.. I may just get these repaired and call it a day. Just need to find someone local who can? I LOVE LOVE LOVE these subs. I actually have three.. but nowhere to put the third. I DO have children. ha.

whats the thickness of the amp? and in my single cab there is a wall made of cardboard covered in carpet or something like that and when i removed it, it had +/- 3 inches of extra depth.

I'll have to measure when i get home. It's the AG750.. I want to say 2" or so.

Tzt5zb29jGQyqzHEv52HxKXwD5B08Q-6u6Lwny5abO4WvQgyzA.jpg

Getting that Zapco installed may be your biggest obstacle

Yes.. That's my fear. I may need to start from scratch just for this reason :(

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
that amp is HUGE...how are you planning on putting your subs?

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
that amp is HUGE...how are you planning on putting your subs?

Yeah, its a beast.

As far as what.. where i'm putting them? 2 x 10" under seat.

As far as wiring? With the coils wired in series and the speakers wired in parallel: 2 dual 6 Ω speakers (D6) will present a 6 Ω load..

Correction, BTW guys. Mine aren't v2's. they are originals. W610... the original edition.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yeah. Forgot about Fi. Last I heard they were pretty far behind on orders and the well regarded customer service was slipping. Still a good company though.

Was out at Fi this spring, met up with Scott, the original owner and guy that started RE...now is Fi. The one guy that was tearing up the CS issue is now gone, a new guy is in, and smart as a whip, known him for years, Nick. Good people, had dinner with Nick in Vegas, and have known Scott for many years.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think I'd have to go with trying to mount the amp on the back wall. Also there's a good bit of info on raising the backseat up 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch which could give you a little more room under the seat and when done right you can fold the back seat down which could help you out after the install if need be.

Now for a joke. Your amp is huge.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
I think I'd have to go with trying to mount the amp on the back wall. Also there's a good bit of info on raising the backseat up 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch which could give you a little more room under the seat and when done right you can fold the back seat down which could help you out after the install if need be.

Now for a joke. Your amp is huge.

Going to check this out, thank you.

Yes, sure is. Thats what they tell me anyway. :emotions33:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are so many boutique brands out there who make a great product but don't have the distribution of large companies like Kicker, RF, JL.
Brands like DC, Soundqubed, Digital Designs, etc.
I have a 12" DD 2500 (800W RMS) that could really use more power than the 1200 I'm currently feeding it, and just love it.
That being said, some of the mainstream stuff kicks out pretty good SQ these days. My last sub was an RF P3 D212 and it sounded great if SQ is your game.