TIPM problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DustyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
wore out a 98' and 07' and working on a 2013
Engine
diesel
TIPM problems seem to plague the 4th gen trucks... I see the recall for durangos an few others ... not happy dropping 600$ for a pos box exposed to the elements... I had wiper issues and traced it to the tipm dealer said they did 5 tipms in the last 2 months. Pluss they charged 120$ to flash it to my vin# it came with all the relays and fuses installed so now I have plenty of extras :flipthebird: what ever....

2013 3500 Laramie 6.7
deleted 70,000 miles

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn ! So I'm assuming the TIPM doesn't have a replaceable relay for the wiper controls ? That sucks ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DustyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
wore out a 98' and 07' and working on a 2013
Engine
diesel
Nope... Much of the brains, relays and modules are internal, they corrode and become problematic.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn that sucks. I was hoping all the TIPM problems I've been reading about weren't affecting the 13+ trucks...

kscull70

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had a new one put in my 09 today as well.....

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
What exactly does TIPM stand for?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What exactly does TIPM stand for?
Totally Integrated Power Module

The main fuse and relay box essentially but half the relays are soldered onto the circuit board and can't be replaced necessitating the replacement of the whole TIPM

FireChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So I have had dead batteries every morning for over a month, unless I pull the fuse for the wireless ignition module. Dealer has replaced module along with wireless hub. Issue persists. Now they are thinking TIPM, however the TIPM for my 2013 Ram 2500 diesel is backordered. Not sure if this will fix the issue, almost feels like they are grasping at straws. The vehicle also does other odd things such as the windshield wipers coming on and off on their own, and the exhaust brake turning off and on also on its own. Like a ghost in the machine. Anyone have any ideas what the lead time is currently for the TIPM on backorder? Thinking maybe a new truck would be faster and more reliable.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
WTF! I can’t believe they STILL haven’t fixed this tipcm problem! What a joke of a company. They don’t even make them anymore for my old truck, I have to take chances on junkyard boxes and waste a hundred bucks to have it flashed each time and that’s not including my time or parts!!! This just boggles me, such a huge company and they can’t figure out how to stop this issue. I guess all car companies have their issues huh! Why can’t they move these such important parts to a more suitable location so they are not susceptible to the weather? Just amazes me, sorry for the rant but I just know it will keep happening and there’s nothing we can do!

Last edited:

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My TIPM caused my battery to die on my 2011 or not start but turn over fine getting no fuel. The fuel pump relay went bad on it. Sometimes stay open (no fuel) or sometimes closed ( dead battery) I used these guys to repair it ( see link below). Took about 7 days total shipped both ways and less than $350. I did not have to have it flashed as it was the one that came out of my truck. Also came with a report of all testing before and after.

http://verticalvisions.com/

MK

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My TPIM caused my battery to die on my 2011 or not start but turn over fine getting no fuel. The fuel pump relay went bad on it. Sometimes stay open (no fuel) or sometimes closed ( dead battery) I used these guys to repair it ( see link below). Took about 7 days total shipped both ways and less than $350. I did not have to have it flashed as it was the one that came out of my truck. Also came with a report of all testing before and after.

http://verticalvisions.com/

MK
That's great so they changed the fuel pump relay for you? From what I understand it's the relays that are soldered to the main board that cause the TIPM problems...

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wipers wont turn off, all dash lights are on, gauges dont work, window buttons dont work, and headlights stay on when turned off. Does a new tipm fix all of these symptoms?

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's great so they changed the fuel pump relay for you? From what I understand it's the relays that are soldered to the main board that cause the TIPM problems...
Yes they did and tested all circuits. If they find anything else wrong they will contact you and give you the updated cost if any. I was and am very pleased. He usually has a 24 hour turn around once he receives it. He has a lot of good info on the site to explain the process and problems.

edited to add: I see they finally have their plug and play fuel pump relay kit now. :)

Last edited:

FireChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The more I hear about these TIPM horror stories, the more I want to just get a new truck.

Brander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone with a prom unit flash these or does it have to go to the dealer? Do the aftermarket ones work or have the same problem?anyone have a schematic for the board so you know what is what once you have it opened up? I have been soldering for 40 years im sure I can handle it, may be able to see the problem child as well but if there is a "MAP" that saves diagnostic time:) I have cruise, 4X4, and rear slider window not working and was told TPIM is the problem.
Thanks for any help and info for this

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone with a prom unit flash these or does it have to go to the dealer? Do the aftermarket ones work or have the same problem?anyone have a schematic for the board so you know what is what once you have it opened up? I have been soldering for 40 years im sure I can handle it, may be able to see the problem child as well but if there is a "MAP" that saves diagnostic time:) I have cruise, 4X4, and rear slider window not working and was told TPIM is the problem.
Thanks for any help and info for this
I don't believe there is an aftermarket option for the TIPM. From what I understand the TIPM itself doesn't normally go bad, it's the internal relays that go bad. The horn, wipers, and fuel pump are a few I know of.

You can buy the relays for under $10 so if you're good at soldering you should be able to fix your TIPM pretty easily.

Really stupid design. An $8 relay causes people to pay $600+ to fix.

Programming the TIPM I believe can be done with a highlevel scan tool such as the Autel but I'm not positive on that...

Brander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RockAuto has a couple of options, Dorman and A1-Cardone advertised as remans, and they charge a core if you do not send yours back. I am assuming they are resoldering any bad connections and shipping them out, which is why I was wondering about the prom flash