UConnect 8.4 on a 3500 Tradesman?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prather Burnett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The name of the game is High Tech/Low Maintenance. I'm looking at a Ram 3500 Tradesman crew cab, long bed, SRW, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin tranny, 2wd with air bag suspension.

Is it possible to upgrade to the UConnect 8.4 on a 3500 Tradesman? I also want the power mirrors as well. The online Build and Price tool doesn't allow this to happen but was hoping someone here could verify if it was actually possible during a special order.

This truck will basically be my rolling office. I need to sync my phone and contacts for hands-free driving. And I wouldn't mind all the extra tech amenities since this will double as a family vehicle. With two boys, the vinyl seats will be great regardless, but especially great during hunting season and fishing trips. I don't want any carpet either. I need to keep my cleaning time to a minimum.

I understand the obvious answer will be to just call a dealership, but I'm not close enough to buying to begin talking with salespeople.

Thanks for helping me out.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is possible and it's a very popular mod. Myself and many others have done it. You can buy the conversion harness from M2mods....better known as Mike and Mike. They are two members who started making harnesses to help other members. You can find them in the preferred vendors section Since your truck is a 3500 you will need the harness for the 4 speed fan to 7 speed fan conversion. I'm not good at posting links but there is a huge Sticky on the 8.4 upgrade in the 4th Gen DIY section that will outline everything you need. You can add the steering wheel radio controls,microphone mirror plus the mirror harness all plug and play plus add the 8.4 radio with the factory bezel. It will look exactly as if it were from the factory that way.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
You should be able to get that truck with power mirrors. When I ordered my 2017 a few months ago, I could get power mirror with manual folding or power folding. Of course, they seem to like changing up the available options randomly too. The 8.4 radio is an relatively easy upgrade, I'm about to do that myself this weekend. I started with the 5.0, so I should have most of what I need already as far as satellite signal. I'm curious to see how hard it's going to be to get Uconnect to transfer from the 5.0 to the 8.4 unit. For the microphone, I have the basic rear view mirror, so I don't know if there's a microphone already somewhere else, of if it's built into the 5.0 radio. :confused:

When it comes to the 8.4, there are a number of options. First is RA3 (non-nav, non-HD) and RA4 (nav and HD). From there, you can get units with or without Sirius and Uconnect. I think those options may just be software differences, but there are individual part numbers to differentiate the radios, and the price changes the more you add of course. It's also possible to have Nav added to an RA3 for 600 bucks from Mopar. :eek: Personally, I opted for a sirius RA3, and I'll stick with my Garmin for nav, much more reliable and free map updates for life. :)