USB powered up all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim's Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 Speed
I bought a Bayou Goat GPS mount for the top tray that says RAM on my 15 Express. I drilled a small hole in the tray and ran the power cable down behind the radio and out of sight. I removed the trim at the very bottom of the console and had the cable come back up the outside. There is about 3-4 inches of cable sticking out that ends in a male USB plug.

I bought a 90 degree USB adapter so the cable would sit flush and not stick straight out when I plugged it into the USB port. This is the one on the right side of my pull out tray at the bottom of the center console.

I noticed that with the truck turned off and no key, the charge light on my GPS was always on, 24-7. I didn't want that so I checked to see if there was some fuse I could switch so I change it from always live to only live with key on. I've had this option on previous vehicles.

Unfortunately there wasn't, so I stuck one of those cigarette lighter USB adapters in the 12v outlet on the left side of the pull out tray and plugged the GPS there. Good news is, it only charges when the truck is running, bad news is, it sticks out.

Just thought I would share....Jim

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jim... just a suggestion since we do this quite often. Solder on, or wrap around two wires on your cig plug. The tip is the 12v and two sides are grounds, then tuck this wire back behind the dash, or up in the headliner and run it down the a-pillar, under the dash, and wire it in to a switched 12v source.

OP
OP
J

Jim's Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 Speed
Jim... just a suggestion since we do this quite often. Solder on, or wrap around two wires on your cig plug. The tip is the 12v and two sides are grounds, then tuck this wire back behind the dash, or up in the headliner and run it down the a-pillar, under the dash, and wire it in to a switched 12v source.

That would work. Then I'd have no external wires showing....thanks!

I'll wait till spring though :)

Jim

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did this a little differently.

First I bought a new cig female end. I tapped into the existing one, and mounted it behind the dash where your knees go. (3M tape)

My gps is mounted in the bottom left corner of my windshield, so I ran my wire under the rubber door molding to under the dash, where I just plugged it in.

Certain Garmin gps models must have the factory 12v plug to show traffic in the route, it has some type of fm antenna in it or something that picks it up. Splicing will ruin it. Been there done that.

I can take pictures when I get my truck back if you'd like.

The only visible wire I have is about 6" that come out at the windshield, that could only be seen from the outside (maybe), because the gps is hiding it.

IMO

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ I would never suggest splicing the factory plug. The large rectangular thing is the GPS antenna. Female plugs will work as well, but usually are cheap and stop working over time.

OP
OP
J

Jim's Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 Speed
In my situation it's a Tom Tom....all it has is a USB cable for power...so 5 volts...I like the idea of plugging it into the 12v cigarette adapter and hard wiring that to a switched 12v supply out of site.

Now if I could just figure out how to remove the center drawer to access the wiring behind it. I can feel a few fasteners below it but don't feel like laying down in the slush, salt, sand on the floor right now. Probably wait until Spring.

Jim

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't be a wussy lol.. You would only be under the dash for 5 mins max.

Do you have the center console or the snuggle seat?

IMO

OP
OP
J

Jim's Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 Speed
Don't be a wussy lol.. You would only be under the dash for 5 mins max.

Do you have the center console or the snuggle seat?

IMO

2 door regular cab....snuggle seat (first time I've heard that). Plenty of room to lay across the floor.

We'll see, maybe on a sunny day if things get above zero degrees. That's 32F for you people in the tropics :)

Jim

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
32 isn't bad lol. It gets colder where I'm from.. And I wouldn't be outside working on the truck either ;)

IMO