07 Regular Cab - Best option to upgrade base 4 spkr system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
07 Regular Cab - Best 4 Speaker Size /Location /Configuration

So I've decided its time to replace the stereo and speakers in my truck, and I find myself at a crossroads. I'm very open to opinions.

Currently:

-Factory 4-speaker Non-Infinity Stereo (no factory amplifier)
-Factory 5 1/4" Speakers in rear of cab
-Factory 6x9" Speakers in Front doors
-NO 3.5" Speakers in dash (mounting buckets exist, no factory speaker wires to dash)

Planned:

-Replace factory headunit with aftermarket (likely Pioneer)
-Remove factory door speakers and factory speakers in rear of cab, replace with some combination of 4 new speakers (size and location to be determined)

Here's where I need advice.... I could replace the factory 6x9s in the front door with better 6x9s, and replace the rear 5 1/4" with an upgraded 5 1/4". Also, instead of 6x9s, I could also install component 6.5s in the front doors with an adapter ring/spacer. A third option could include ditching the rear cab speakers altogether, and wiring quality 3.5" speakers in the dash locations.

I'm up for adding a small 4 channel amp under the seat or behind the dash if its worth doing. I have no plans to add a sub at this time, and would likely only do a slim 8 or 10" down the road. Obviously I'll be missing the low lows without a sub, but what combination of 4 speakers will give me a the most full range system, without huge gaps in frequency? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is how I did mine:

Infinity kappa 6x9 3-ways in front doors
Infinity kappa 5.25 2-ways in back doors
Polk Momo series tweeters in the dash (center speaker deleted)
10" Alpine type R in a fox acoustics box under the back seat
500 watt rms kenwood subwoofer amp under drivers seat
500 watt rms kenwood 4 channel amp under passenger seat
Pioneer X-920bt head unit with ASWC-1 to keep steering wheel controls

I am 100% happy with this setup. It's not over the top or stupid expensive and sounds amazing. I had the factory infinity amplified system. I bypassed all that crap (not fun) and installed what I listed above.

A little bit of advice, don't do a 6.5" component set in the front doors. Put a full range set of 6x9's (2 or 3 way) in the doors, and a set of nice tweeters up in the dash. Component sets are nice but these trucks are pretty big and having only lows in the doors and only highs in the dash make it sound extemely out of balance because of the sheer distance between the two. Full range in the doors will give you lows, mids, and highs, and adding the tweeters in the dash will really help to fill out the sound nicely. And since you don't plan on doing a subwoofer, 6x9s will give you better bass than a 6.5.

Also keep in mind that the installation parts for this truck are expensive. You will need a can-bus wiring harness to install a new radio which is pretty pricey and if you want to keep your steering wheel controls you will need another adapter. The dash kit and antenna adapter are cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A little bit of advice, don't do a 6.5" component set in the front doors. Put a full range set of 6x9's (2 or 3 way) in the doors, and a set of nice tweeters up in the dash. Component sets are nice but these trucks are pretty big and having only lows in the doors and only highs in the dash make it sound extemely out of balance because of the sheer distance between the two. Full range in the doors will give you lows, mids, and highs, and adding the tweeters in the dash will really help to fill out the sound nicely. And since you don't plan on doing a subwoofer, 6x9s will give you better bass than a 6.5.

Also keep in mind that the installation parts for this truck are expensive. You will need a can-bus wiring harness to install a new radio which is pretty pricey and if you want to keep your steering wheel controls you will need another adapter. The dash kit and antenna adapter are cheap.

Thanks for that! I understand most of your logic there as far as 6x9s instead of 6.5s. Sounds like it may be worth running new wires for dash speakers too then, using 3.5s as my dedicated highs (biasing high pass with the headunit or amp, whichever I end up with). This all seems reasonable, but are you suggesting a true dedicated tweeter in the dash locations or just a 3.5?

As for installation stuff, I'm seeing what you mean as far as install parts, though it doesn't seem too daunting yet. My truck is super basic, with no steering wheel controls to adapt and retain, so really just the canbus harness and dash kit as extras.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that! I understand most of your logic there as far as 6x9s instead of 6.5s. Sounds like it may be worth running new wires for dash speakers too then, using 3.5s as my dedicated highs (biasing high pass with the headunit or amp, whichever I end up with). This all seems reasonable, but are you suggesting a true dedicated tweeter in the dash locations or just a 3.5?

As for installation stuff, I'm seeing what you mean as far as install parts, though it doesn't seem too daunting yet. My truck is super basic, with no steering wheel controls to adapt and retain, so really just the canbus harness and dash kit as extras.

I put tweeters in my dash instead of 3.5's. Tweeters will come with their own crossovers, just run the wire to the radio and tap into your front 2 channels.