5th gen base audio system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what type of speaker does the RAM with the base audio system come with in the doors? I replaced my front two doors with 6x9 coaxials and there's a little too much high end. I'm thinking I should have gone with component in the front doors and moving the coaxials to the rear doors. I know a lot of people put three ways in there but I don't need all that back there. just a little improvement in the coaxial should provide just that. in everything I've read or watched the stock speakers are discussed in terms of ohms and what a lot of people upgrade to with the idea that they will add subwoofers or aftermarket amps which I'm not doing. so back to my original question. are the stock door speakers component speakers? thank you .

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No they are not components. All doors front and rear have 6X9 full range paper cone speakers. The dash is a 3.5 paper cone full range. The dash speakers have capacitors that roll off the low frequencies. I have a 4th gen but the setup is still the same on the base audio system. Like you i elected to go with 6X9 coaxials in the rear doors and components in the front door and dash. It’s difficult to find stand alone 6X9 woofers if you want to go with 3.5 coaxials in the dash. Pioneer and Kicker make drop in systems for the front setup in Ram trucks.

akrausz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have too much high end because the factory speakers are designed to compensate for the limitation imposed by wiring the dash and front doors on the same channel. IIRC, the dash speakers are 8 ohm and front door speakers are 2 ohm, so the factory door speakers sound louder than standard after-market coaxials. Unfortunately you cannot buy after-market dash speakers that will match the ohm rating of the factory speakers.

You have to rewire to use components. But even then, you can't adjust the levels of the 6x9's with the dash coaxials. I chose these 2-ohm 6x9's for the front doors: https://www.mx-designs.com/mx-woofers/mx69bes.php, and also somewhat inefficient dash coaxials to balance the sound. However, I don't use factory amplification, so I can level-match the components and cross over the front door and dash speakers at 500 Hz.

Last edited:

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No they are not components. All doors front and rear have 6X9 full range paper cone speakers. The dash is a 3.5 paper cone full range. The dash speakers have capacitors that roll off the low frequencies. I have a 4th gen but the setup is still the same on the base audio system. Like you i elected to go with 6X9 coaxials in the rear doors and components in the front door and dash. It’s difficult to find stand alone 6X9 woofers if you want to go with 3.5 coaxials in the dash. Pioneer and Kicker make drop in systems for the front setup in Ram trucks.
If you're correct about the 4th n 5th gen... I swapped out all my speakers on my 4th Gen and had a similar issue. I put Memphis Audio's in the dash and then some Pioneer 6x9 coaxial 3 ways in the front and back doors. Sounded good and had decent bump but I had to turn the treble way down.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The previous two posts are correct about the wiring and ohm rating of the factory speakers. That said it is a preference thing. I personally like having slightly “louder” dash speakers. I’m not a fan of multi-way speakers in the front doors as having frequency restricted dash speakers for the highs and multi-way speakers in the doors adding in additional high frequencies my ear picks up multiple soundstages. To me it sounds muddy with tweeters in the doors playing around my knees and a soundstage from the dash at head level. To me I liked components with a woofer in the doors and coaxials in the dash even without gain control. If you are interested adding a separate small four channel amp like the Kicker Key200 you can control the four front speakers from the aftermarket amp and the rear speakers run off the factory head unit. You would have to run a 12V power supply wire through the firewall to the battery, a ground to one of the brake pedal bracket bolts and purchase an aftermarket T-harness to avoid cutting the factory wiring for the speakers. Separate speaker leads from the amp to the dash speakers are also required so you can get rid of the four speakers on two channels that Ram put in the truck. Running front dash wiring is really easy with lots of room to work. It also gives you a healthy 50 watts per channel if you like your music a little on the louder side. It also compensates for the ohm mismatch of the front speakers and allows components to work effectively.