7 blade trailer wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I tried hooking up my 7 blade trailer up to my truck and the lights do not come on. by the end of the short trip, the lights would come on and off for a few seconds at a time. i bought a new wiring harness for the truck at autozone and a lot of the wires are different colors. how should i know what wire goes to where?

truck had the harness it has now when i bought it and it is built in to the bumper so i am assuming is factory?

truck also has a trailer brake controller if that matters.

there is 2 white and red wires on the truck going into the current harness. both white with red stripes. one of which is larger than the other and is completely corroded so i am assuming this is the issue. do i just need to find where that wire goes and completely replace it?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I would find where those corroded wires go. Then if you can replace just them do that. Worst case would be having to replace the bed harness. Which is not real hard, just messy and you will need access to a lift. Now you may want too see if it is a factory harness first. Easiest way to do that is to look under the driver side dash, and find what the brake control is actually plugged into, and where it is located. The factory plug is blue and located just above the e-brake pedal on top of the wire bundle there. Here is a picture of the factory connector: Electric Brake Controller Installation on Dodge Ram Truck | etrailer.com

There are complete kits out there also that have everything, but I prefer the factory one due to its ease of installation.

OP
OP

5.9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
brake controller is plugged into that blue harness. thank you for going the extra mile and supplying a picture! i cut the corroded wire back a few inches and the wire is fine. not sure why i didnt think to do that in the first place.

the plug in harness i bought to replace lists what all the wires do on the harness but not which wire to splice them into on the truck. most of the wires are the same colors but some are not. anyway to be know what wire does what?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok you have the factory tow package which can make this easier to fix. The dealership should have just the parts that you will need with the correct wires. Check with a dealership explain the problem (corroded wires and location) and they should have a replacement pigtailed part. Keeping it factory is the way to go here because if you try aftermarket it might mess something up.

If you feel you can do the job just replacing the wire would be the way to go. Do not cheap out, get the same gauge wire, and if you can solder it into the harness. If you go factory like I posted above then again solder all the wires together and use marine heat shrink tubing to waterproof and protect the connection.

Last edited: