alarm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Anyone have an alarm that's hooked up to your phone? I know viper has an app to be able to monitor your alarm via phone, anyone else have a good one? My alarm I have now is good but the remotes going out and it loses signal with it more and more often.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I think I am going to look into this.

[yt]Md4y7LYkKeg[/yt]

Anyone on here have it?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
IIRC, some of the Viper alarms/remote starts work with an app on the iphones. The best and probably worst feature about it is that you can lock/unlock or start your truck from anywhere as long as you've got reception

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
its cool........but damnit its $$$. I priced it out when I got mine - went against it. I can start my truck from my office, and it takes me about 5-6 minutes to walk to my truck from there (go downstairs.......walk out of the building and to my parking spot in BFE). I can live with that for now! :D

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
IIRC, some of the Viper alarms/remote starts work with an app on the iphones. The best and probably worst feature about it is that you can lock/unlock or start your truck from anywhere as long as you've got reception

I don't see that as a bad thing if the app is locked so you don't accidently start it. But I honestly don't care about that feature of it. I like the idea of the arming/disarming and text notification should the alarm go off. Right now my pager style viper alarm is going out. I can lock it, walk up to my office and look at the remote and it shows it being unlocked and loses the signal. So I have to take out the battery put it back in and wait for the most anoying song to play and then unlock and relock it for it to get the signal back. Also the AAA batter for the remote dies really quick. So to have a backup that texts me when it gooes off and is always charged and on me is something that is well worth it to me.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
ryan can you buy a new pager? its cheaper than a whole new alarm

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
This peaked my interest as of right now I have no remote start and want one before next winter. Guess it is time to make my birthday wish list or christmas list... hmmm

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Hey want $130 for a new remote. And that
ight not fix the issue if its loosing signal from the truck. The cell would make the range much longer and you can monitor it a lot easier. That and they have some new features with a gps deal coming out soon so I don't know I think ta well worth it. Also you can't heathe remote go off if you are anywhere sure its loud. So the text alerts would go off a loud ringtone making it easier to hear and respond quicker.

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
As far as GPS I just use Google Maps on the Droid as I have a phone mount by my rear view mirror.

The only down side I would see is having to use both a remote and your phone. Wonder what happens if your alarm is on and your phone dies... can you still disable the alarm or are you just SOL

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
No I am talking about a vehicle gps, almost like.a tracker not a directional.gps. as for if your cell dies well its about the same now.as my remote dies.once a month it seems. So when that happens I have to run to the store and grab a.tripple a.pack so I can unarm it to get in. Really sucks.at work when it does.that and.I.am.nowhere close to.a.store.

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
So you mean like a GPS verision of a low jack or computer recovery setup? I.E. if someone steals your truck or if your kid borrows the truck you know where the truck is at all times.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I believe so. Bad to look it up.a.little.more. I was reading about it last night. It was suppose to.be an update add on have to find the link when I get home

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
My list of mods just keeps going and going for what I want to put on the truck... wonder if the wife would like me put a second mortgage on the house for more mods lol

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
It looks like DEI Viper Smart Start will soon be releasing their GPS tracking option. Can't tell if its an additional module to the Smart Start or if it a function that gets enabled when you upgrade to your annual subscription service to include thier GPS services.

Directed Electronics introduces an innovative and affordable new smartphone product: Viper SmartStart GPS

Users know where their vehicle is at all times. They can check the location and status of their vehicle right from a Viper SmartStart app at any time. They see real-time location on a map, as well as how fast the vehicle is moving and where it’s going.

Social Media Check-in feature supports the connected lifestyle, allowing users to let Facebook friends know where they’re parked with one-touch check-in and customizable messaging

Protecting family members with security and safety alerts:
Speed Alert provides notification when a family vehicle exceeds the specified setting
Lockdown Alert sets the vehicle location and provides notification if the vehicle leaves that spot
Curfew feature restricts above settings to a specified time frame
All five of the above features are included in the SmartStart GPS Basic Service Plan. The SmartStart GPS Premium Service Plan includes all the features above, plus:
SmartFence creates a secure zone around the vehicle, alerting users if the vehicle leaves that zone
HotSpot creates an alert zone around a prohibited location, notifying the user if the vehicle goes there

Last edited:

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Reading more about it.. I like the sound of it, but the month fee for the service is sort of a put off. If I don't want to pay the monthly fee then what my security/remote start system no longer works at all?

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
No the remote will still work. You just wont be able to use the app or part of the app.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
SmartStart Secure 1-Year service plan, for $49.99 up front.
SmartStart Secure 3-Year service plan, for $99.99 up front (that's equivalent to one year included FREE, or less than $3/month). Note, this is a special rate plan that can be purchased through 3/31/2011. After that date the price of the 3-year plan will be $119.99.
Viper Motor Club is included at no charge with all SmartStart Secure service plans. **

Doesnt seem to over priced to me. $100 for 3yr service plan

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
If they are using cell service does it say what or who they are using? Some parts here only maintain a signal with Verizon out in the "sticks" so the app would be rendered useless if the service is done by AT&T, Sprint or a lesser cell service provider.