Alarm system help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm trying to install an alarm system. I have the main power wires and things hooked up. I can't figure out the parking lights and the door locks.

There was an alarm system installed that didn't fully worked. The doors and alarm worked. It didn't work for starting. I tried connecting to the same wire for the parking lights but it doesn't work. The system I'm installing has 2 wires. One for the parking light output. And a parking light isolation wire. Any idea?

AS for the door locks, I can't even find where the old system connected. Where would be the best place? Do I need relays. I remember having to add relays in my 97 ram. Do I in this 05? I"m sure it's been asked before and I did do a quick search, but none are of these two issues. I appreciate any help.

I attached the sheet that came with the system. It says which wires go where. I just need to find out which wire to connect each to in the truck.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Somebody has to know.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ive tried all of those sites. I know which wires. I just need to know if I need relays or anything. I cant find where the old system was hooked in.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

cmiller0711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember having to use isolators on my 04 not sure if its the same for your model...
I will see if I can find any info on it.

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The thing is that when I connect the wires from the unit to the wire behind the headlight switch, only the cluster lights flash. Not the outside lights. Ill try that next time I have a chance.

canadian kido

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Do you have the brain (alarm) set to positive or negitave park lights? The truck will have both positive and negative park lights. Sounds like you have your jumper on your brain in the wrong placement. Your negative park lights will be at the headlight switch with a wire color of white/light green. ALWAYS TEST, some times the wire colors dont always match up, but 99% of the time they are correct. You will also find your door lock wires in the drivers kick door harness. They both share the same wire color of purple/dark green, like I mentioned before ALWAYS TEST. Lock is negative trigger thru an 820 ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 330 ohm resistor. MUST use relays. Hope this helps.

cmiller0711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the brain (alarm) set to positive or negitave park lights? The truck will have both positive and negative park lights. Sounds like you have your jumper on your brain in the wrong placement. Your negative park lights will be at the headlight switch with a wire color of white/light green. ALWAYS TEST, some times the wire colors dont always match up, but 99% of the time they are correct. You will also find your door lock wires in the drivers kick door harness. They both share the same wire color of purple/dark green, like I mentioned before ALWAYS TEST. Lock is negative trigger thru an 820 ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 330 ohm resistor. MUST use relays. Hope this helps.

This is the right info!

canadian kido

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Yea, first off I though he was talking about an 97 too. All the info I have provided is for a 05 Ram

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The system I pulled out tapped into the white/light green wire at the headlight switch. I tried switching the polarity for the lights and neither worked. (the new system can be switched.) As for the locks...I assume the old system had to use relays too? If so, I never took any out and I didn't see any in there! Unless they are in the door itself. How do I even access the driver kick panel?

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sorry guys. Maybe I should have my name changed!

canadian kido

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
pull all the plastic off down in the kick panel. The wire harness will be behind there

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The kick panel is where the parking brake mechanism is isn't it? I tried getting in there but that's in the way. Do I have to remove it?

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know I have to take that off. I did but the wires go behind the parking brake mechanism. Unless you are saying that I can just tap in where the wires go along the door sill. I thought about that, but I figured I'd try to use what they already put in. If I could find it.

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I figured out the lights. For the most part anyway. I'm supposed to actually cut the wire completely and add the alarm system into it. Let me explain.

There are two wires for the lights in the alarm system.
A white wire for the parking light output
A white/brown wire for the parking light isolation

Now the module has a relay inside of it. When I cut the wire in the truck behind the headlight switch, the lights come on automatically. If I connect those two wires to each half, the power is sent through the internal relay and they shut off. If I hit the lock/unlock button the lights flash right. But only the dash cluster lights. Is there a separate wire for the exterior parking lights?