General Audio Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecoastro25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
New member here! Just got my first truck that's all mine. Its an '06 1500 reg cab that I'm starting make my own. The 4 speakers in it are factory and really aren't very good. I just ordered replacement 6x9's online for the front doors and I was curious about two things:

1) Would it sound okay to leave the back factory 5.25's in if they are still working fine
and
2) I have a Kenwood single din I can move over from my previous vehicle but the factory head has an aux port already. Would the move be worth the trouble for the improvement in sound quality?

Thanks!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you're replacing them up front then replace the backs also with the same make/model of speaker. It will create a much more balanced sounding system.

Most aftermarket decks will provide better sound quality and more adjustability than factory head units. But old or very cheap ones may not be much if any improvement. The problem with the 06- and up trucks is that parts to install an aftermarket head unit can be pretty pricey.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Replacing the door speakers with any speakers will sound worse than the factory. Well, let me clarify that. You will lose bottom end on any speakers over factory ones believe it or not. The sound might be cleaner.. but the low end will be missing.

You can get better sound but you'll want to throw in a AMP in the mix in order to get the bass back.

I've always replaced my door speakers with Infinity components and then installed subs under the seat. My last truck had a 5 channel amp and I could turn off the subs, and while the doors screamed... the bass was just not there. Funny how well the factory speakers are matched with the space/power.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replacing the door speakers with any speakers will sound worse than the factory. Well, let me clarify that. You will lose bottom end on any speakers over factory ones believe it or not. The sound might be cleaner.. but the low end will be missing.

You can get better sound but you'll want to throw in a AMP in the mix in order to get the bass back.

I've always replaced my door speakers with Infinity components and then installed subs under the seat. My last truck had a 5 channel amp and I could turn off the subs, and while the doors screamed... the bass was just not there. Funny how well the factory speakers are matched with the space/power.
This completely depends on the vehicle and the new speakers going in. Some factory speakers have no bass at all and some aftermarket ones even without an amp have plenty. I agree about using an amp but it sounds like he's on a budget since he was considering not even doing the rear speakers so I didn't even mention it.

Generally, if you are not going to amp them, low wattage "cheaper" speakers will sound better than higher wattage ones. The higher power handling speakers will be stiffer and the deck won't be able to power them correctly. But the low power handling ones will sound better. If you amp them, the lower power speakers will begin to distort and that's where the more expensive higher wattage speakers will be better. But in short, it's all about how you design the system.

Last edited: