Help with multimeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I rewired an ABS module connector and would like to know the proper way to check my work with a multimeter.

Here's the connector that was replaced:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428974828.367871.jpg

Here it is connected to the ABS module:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428975229.583775.jpg

I had a ton of ABS code errors but have gotten them all cleared except the rear wheel speed sensor error and the brake & ABS light stay lit. I replaced the rear speed sensor, cleared the faults with my scanner and still got the same error with brake and ABS light still on.

Another forum member gave me the wiring diagram and I'd like to check the continuity on the rear wheel speed sensor wiring.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428975104.008597.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428975116.030525.jpg

How would I use the multimeter to check this?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without knowing which one you have it's hard to tell you exactly. But there should be a setting for measuring resistance and you can set most to make a beep sound when there is continuity between the 2 points. If you could put up a picture or the model of the meter I could tell you where to set it.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Here's the basic Harbor Freight multimeter I have:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429016989.510265.jpg

As you can see it doesn't get much use.

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I forgot to check this thread lol. But it doesn't look like that multimeter has a continuity setting, just some resistance ones. You can use those to test for continuity though

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So what's the best way and setting to check for resistance? What's a normal range I should be looking for?

Not very skilled with a multimeter I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the best way to do it with that multimeter would be to set it to 200 in the ohms section (straight down) and then touch the 2 leads together. It will show a number. Then use the meter to probe the 2 places you want to check for continuity. The number should be the same or very close if it is a good connection

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Thanks for the block of instruction.

It appears whatever I did yesterday worked because when I started the truck and drove it this morning, the brake and ABS light turned off!!!

Might've been just a loose connector because all I really did was pull off connectors, clean them out with my air compressor then reseat them.

Guess I just needed some real wheel revolutions for the errors to clear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well, here we go again. The lights turned off yesterday for the majority of my driving but turned on again on my last start up and drive home. Got in this morning and lights were still on but shortly into my commute the lights both went out.

I'm thinking there might be a short between the ABS module and the rear speed sensor.

This is getting old.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Closing this out.

Turns out when we spliced in the connector we had a green/white wire crossed. There are 2 of those and we didn't pay close enough attention when we were soldering them together.