Need help please. Dash speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have asked a few questions about this recently but hope someone could answer one more. My truck does not have the infinity system. There are no speakers in my dash. I would like to know if the wires are there for them. I am a little leary of taking the top dash panel off as it seems rather brittle. Would just like to know if the wires are there before I start prying it off.
Thanks to all
CW

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
There should be wires up there. That piece is pretty simple to pop off, just slide a tool under neath it up by the rest of the dash, and pop the clips out.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I took the panel off. No harm done. As near as I can tell there are no wires. I couldn't feel or see any. It's pretty cramped to get to. Anyone know if they are tucked away somewhere and just kinda hard to get to?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i don't think there are any wires, but with that top piece off and the radio pulled out its not hard to get wires up there.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about that. I'm not an audio guy at all. And am not sure how to wire them to the factory head unit. Or if I really need them for that matter.

shimmy2169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With having just the factory deck, you may as well not install any up there because all of your speakers would be under powered since you would be splitting channels. If you ever decide to amplify your system, I would definitely put a set up there. They make a huge difference. I put Boston s35's in my dash and I really like the sound they put out. They are crystal clear and they absolutely scream.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no wires in the dash. However with the panel off, I think I will go ahead and run the speaker wires, and use a tap into the speaker wires coming out of the head unit. Shouldn't be too hard to find a schematic online that will tell me which wires to tap into, should it?

shimmy2169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are the speaker wire colors for the front two speakers:
Front left - light green/red (+) light green/green (-)
Front right - light blue/purple (+) light blue/black (-)
Let me know how it sounds without an amp I'm curious

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Did you ever get these hooked up? I am curious too...

Shimmy, do you think it would be better/acceptable if it were an aftermarket deck?

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I did. Sorry for the lack of update. I did have to put crossovers in. They work fine and the truck sounds much better than it did. I did have to use crossovers since I tapped into the front door speaker wires. It was all pretty easy really. The hardest part was getting that dash panel off and back on without breaking it. It was pretty brittle.

Reesycup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
It is easier with a aftermarket deck. But adding the speakers to the factory makes a big difference.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If there are no speaker there, there won't be any wires. Not that this should stop you from adding speakers there. With a line out converter, you can add a circuit for each side easily.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my neighbors 02 Ram the speaker wires were taped up there somewhere. he added a new head unit and replaced all of the speakers using the factory wires. he didn't have the Infinity system...now he has one better...not sure what he installed, it was 2 years ago when i helped him out.

yours might be there...or not. just from what I found.

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Yes I did. Sorry for the lack of update. I did have to put crossovers in. They work fine and the truck sounds much better than it did. I did have to use crossovers since I tapped into the front door speaker wires. It was all pretty easy really. The hardest part was getting that dash panel off and back on without breaking it. It was pretty brittle.

So what exactly did you install? a 3 1/2 2way? can any crossover be used or did they come with the speakers.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I had access to a wrecked ram with the infinity system. So they were just factory infinity speakers. Which are good enough for me. We took the amp out too. But it became very apparent that it would be easier to use an aftermarket one. Unfortunate the interior of the wrecked truck was blue and mine was black so I couldn't keep any panels.

Reesycup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Yes. I pulled wire to behind the radio and hooked them up with the fronts. It really does make a difference. I have a customer who didn't put any in the dash and we have the exact same set up except the dash speakers and my truck is louder and clearer

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Yes. I pulled wire to behind the radio and hooked them up with the fronts. It really does make a difference. I have a customer who didn't put any in the dash and we have the exact same set up except the dash speakers and my truck is louder and clearer

Ok cool. I will try putting some in without any crossovers first and see how it goes.