Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
This weekend I'm changing out six speakers in my 04 quad cab. Any surprises I should look for? Or is it a pretty straight forward job? Putting in Punch 3 1/2's in the dash, Prime three way 6x9's in the doors, and Prime three way 6 1/2's in the back doors. Already have 10" prime subs under the back seat. All Rockford Fosgate BTW. Should sound really good when I'm done

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only thing you will have to deal with, assuming the depth of the speakers you got are the same as, or less than, the depth of the stockers; is the connectors. You may end up having to clip off the stock connectors and make up your own connections to the speaker terminals.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Amen ^^

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
The only thing you will have to deal with, assuming the depth of the speakers you got are the same as, or less than, the depth of the stockers; is the connectors. You may end up having to clip off the stock connectors and make up your own connections to the speaker terminals.

Way ahead of you there. I was going to buy the metra harnesses and decided not to. Instead, I have T-taps. I'll be able to tap into the wire and keep the factory plugs

Depth hopefully won't be an issue. If it is, plastic cutting boards from Walmart can be easily made into spacers :)

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Way ahead of you there. I was going to buy the metra harnesses and decided not to. Instead, I have T-taps. I'll be able to tap into the wire and keep the factory plugs

Depth hopefully won't be an issue. If it is, plastic cutting boards from Walmart can be easily made into spacers :)

That's the right way to do it (I personally hate t taps though) but you have the right idea by tapping into the wires. There is no reason to ever hack a harness plug off of your vehicle EVER unless you're replacing it lol

The only thing to remember if you aren't using the harnesses, is to make sure you keep the phasing right. Make sure you tap the positive wire of the speaker to the positive side of the factory harness

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Yeah, on that too. Before I even ordered my speakers I researched a wiring harness color code. Have a copy sitting on my desk waiting for me to get started

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
One more question. When I try to pull the already cracked upper dash panel off and it breaks even more, where's a good place to get a new one that won't break my wallet?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only place I know that has a good selection is LMC Truck.

Good luck with the audio upgrade. Sounds as if you got all the tough stuff covered.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Thank you! Someone at work recommended LMC Truck. I looked, and a new one shipped to my house is $153.70. Not too bad I suppose. We'll see how badly it breaks when I pull it out first :)

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
HOLY CRAP!!!! My wife's little dog woke me up much earlier than I wanted today so I figured I would get ahead start on this speaker project. Changed out the 3 1/'s in the dash. Easy peasy!! The already busted and cracked dash piece came out relatively easy. Only broke a little more. Prolly cover it with DashMat and forget about it. That went so quickly I decided to do the doors. Panels came off easy enough, but the new 6x9's wouldn't fit in the doors properly. Well, the plastic spacer that came with the factory speakers snapped right off factoy, and snapped back onto Prime like they were almost made for them. Got that all put back togther and decided to do the back doors. I ordered 6 1/2's when there are 5 1/4's back there. No big deal, I ligned everything up and it will work, I just didn't have anything here at the house to make adapters with. So I put it back together with four out of the six speakers changed. What a difference already!!! Can't wait to do the last two speakers tomorrow and go cruisin around impressing the troops!!!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on the easy peasy mod!

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year