Sporadic Electrical Issues..Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peeper3011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
Bought my 05 Ram 1500 5.7L about 3 months ago with 103k..
About a month ago I did a simple wiring job and wired a few auxillary lights on the frame under the grill straight into the fog lamps..No big deal, but not even 4 hours later I came back out to my truck and had a dead battery. I rattled my brain for hours and came to the conclusion this had to be a coincidence..Anyways I jumped the battery and went on my way. The next 3 weeks I had a sporadic dead bettery, usually about twice a week. I had everything checked..battery, charging system, etc..I ended up buying a new battery and have not had a dead battery since. But now I am having more electrical issues,, my aftermarket stereo will not stay powered on, blinkers tend to go haywire at times, and windshield wiper delay does not work. I've done hours of research and everytime I think I've found the solution it tends to checkout fine. I've been reading about the multifunction switch and thinking about replacing this, seems to be pretty easy. To be totally honest I feel more lost now than ever..Does anyone have any suggestions or porblems alike?? Truly appreciate any and all feedback!

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you scanned the truck? Any codes coming up?
I had random electrical issues with my '06 as well and it turned out to be the TIPM.
Not the exact same issues as you are having but these trucks are known for the TIPM to **** out and give all sorts of unique electrical bugs in the process.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question how did you wire up your extra lights did you run the power straight from the battery with a relay switched by the factory fog light power. Because if you just added lighting to the factory circuit its going to be overloaded its design can not handle the extra load without risking overloading the distribution block and since all the factory accessories run through it an overload can cause problems in other power circuits. Same with adding new head units that have higher amperage draw than factory head units and should get power supplied from its own source direct from batt or fuse block with fuse tap in a open 30 amp slot. you run the risk of damage to the power distribution system.

OP
OP
P

peeper3011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I simply tapped into the fog lights power..I can see where this would cause a problem now. If I correct the issue, do you think it will go away or have the damage already been done? Also, I have checked for any codes and nothing comes up. Thanks for the input!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question how did you wire up your extra lights did you run the power straight from the battery with a relay switched by the factory fog light power. Because if you just added lighting to the factory circuit its going to be overloaded its design can not handle the extra load without risking overloading the distribution block and since all the factory accessories run through it an overload can cause problems in other power circuits. Same with adding new head units that have higher amperage draw than factory head units and should get power supplied from its own source direct from batt or fuse block with fuse tap in a open 30 amp slot. you run the risk of damage to the power distribution system.

I agree with everything but the radio part lol. You need nowhere near 30 amps just to power an aftermarket radio. Most of them will draw around 5 amps peak. Adding amps and such is a different story but just a radio doesn't need it's own power supply run to it for 30 amps. That would require 10 or 12 gauge wire.

But yes definitely get those lights you added off the factory circuit. That can definitely cause issues. Use or make a relay harness and use a seperate switch for them.