Stock Radio Randomly Cuts Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hello all,
Thanks in advance for any help with our issue, it's very frustrating. We have the original stock radio on our RAM 2500 Diesel Truck. The radio is behaving very strangely, and we just want to know if it's a problem with the radio unit itself or with wiring (we've heard of problems with wires in the doors).

The radio randomly works perfectly, but then after a while there will be a pop and it will not work at all. When this happens we can turn the volume knob all we want, but it will stay at 0. This is the case when it doesn't work - the volume just won't go up. But then the radio might work again the next day. There seems to be no rhyme or reason when it decides to be okay. The other problem- the time keeps resetting almost as if it lost power, but all the station presets are still there.

Should we replace the radio head, or is it a problem somewhere else? The dealership wanted about $500 to replace the radio, and they didn't have the part. I could order one online for about $125, but I don't want to replace the wrong thing if it's a wiring problem in the doors. Again, if you can help please let us know. Thanks all you experts out there!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not familiar with your year & radio , but after reading your post above , I'd definitely replace the radio , as it sounds like that is the issue to me .

If it's not the radio you could recoup some of the cost by selling one of the radios , so the $125 minus the sale of one of the radio would be all your out for the troubleshooting.

Welcome to the forum from Bristol Tn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah sounds to me like your radio is on its way out. You can replace it with an aftermarket one but make sure you get all the correct install parts, dash kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter.

OP
OP
I

InTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Looks like a new radio is the way to go. I've heard of the wiring in the doors breaking with all the opening and closing over the years (which is why the radio volume won't go up), but why would the clock keep resetting? Thanks for your help everyone.