2012 to 2014 5.7 motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone done a motor and ecu swap on a 2012 to a 2014 motor? I'm wondering if I'm going to have issues with the security key when I switch the ecu?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My understanding is most of the various control modules are tied together by VIN. So if you install one with a different VIN from the rest, you will be locked out.

PCM's can be flashed over to a different VIN, but it is usually a high level dealer only scan tool for the most part.

OP
OP
R

Raman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, I've heard that from another buddy, I figure as soon as I receive the ecu I will take it to the dealership to get it flashed with my vin. Do you know what the cost for a flash like that runs?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yea, I've heard that from another buddy, I figure as soon as I receive the ecu I will take it to the dealership to get it flashed with my vin. Do you know what the cost for a flash like that runs?

If I was to speculate, at least whatever their hourly shop rate charge is. I would expect no more than an hour but not 100% certain on that.

There is also a possible chance they may either want or need the old PCM and/or the vehicle in question on the lot.

OP
OP
R

Raman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I really appreciate your input!