2012 Ram Sport gauges go crazy and throws P0480/P0481 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the 4th my truck decided to make the gauges go dead(except the speedo) and have every light come on on the dash. If i shut the truck off and restart it the gauges work as they should and it leaves the CEL on. It's done it 3 times since and will shut off the AC as well. It leaves the two codes which are for the fan control circuit 1 and 2. It has been 110*+ here the last couple days but I don't see that as cause for the pcm to flip out like it has. It's going to the dealer today. They assume it needs a pcm flash but I'm having them do a full diagnostic on the fan relays and such. Here's a video I took this morning of the issue. Not something that should be happening on a 2 month old truck with 550 miles on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSiIMFOsPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well that sucks. But electronics can go bad on almost anything. It may be a loose connection at the PCM or the FCM. Hopefully they can sort it out. Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
M

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do. I took it in and it's throwing 3 pages of communication and error codes. It could be anything from a frayed wire to a bent pin on a connector. Over 500 ft of wire on the truck so it may take a while the tech was saying lol.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
sucks hearing stuff like this, but unfortunately it does happen. Thank god for warranty...lol

OP
OP
M

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a call from the service writer on Monday they could replicate the issue by pulling on the main harness that goes through the firewall. They said there was a bad pin on the harness under the dash and would have to order a whole new harness. 3-4 days out of course... They also have to remove the dash to install said harness. Praying that it is put back together with no rattles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990