trouble with remote starter in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machubbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi guys

I have an issue with starter during cold weather. I start the engine with the remote starter and let it run for the entire 15 minutes. It seems to start and run fine for that time. The issue is when i put the key in to start it afterwards, the motor turns for long time before it finally starts.
the engine is already warm so it shouldnt be a problem with cold start. Has anyone else experienced this before?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do you have a truck with an immobilizer?

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an issue a couple of times when I accidentally hit the brake before turning the key to run.
Hitting the brake shut off the engine like it should, and when I tried to start it, it just cranked, but wouldn't start.

What I've done since to avoid it if I hit the brake, is remove the key and open the door to shut off the RAP convenience power, then put in the key and start it from scratch.

I know your issue is after letting it run and stop on it's own, but it could be something similar with the way the power works?

OP
OP
machubbs

machubbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it does have an immobilizer. I dont remember hitting the brake but i also wasnt aware that hitting it would do that. Thanks for the tip

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't have a problem with restarting, but have noticed something. Our 2011 T&C has factory remote start and if I touch the brake before pushing the engine start button, the engine stops. However, my new 2012 Ram 1500 Express didn't have remote start when ordered, but I did have the Mopar remote start added as part of the deal. It operates the same as our minivan, but does not stop the engine if I touch the brake before inserting and turning the key. It is a bit confusing, because with "enter and go," you are supposed to step on the brake before starting. But in the van, if you step on the brake, the engine stops. In my truck, I can step on the brake and the engine doesn't stop. Any thoughts?