HID Ballast in Cold Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody have issues with their HID ballast not working in cold weather? It seems each winter I have the same one going out. If it warms up it’s fine. But once the temperature gets below 45 degrees it doesn’t work. Should I insulate it?

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody have issues with their HID ballast not working in cold weather? It seems each winter I have the same one going out. If it warms up it’s fine. But once the temperature gets below 45 degrees it doesn’t work. Should I insulate it?

Yes, my Morimotos do this, before you blame the ballast/ignitor check your relays.

I swapped the relay from one bank to the other and the problem followed, replaced the relay's and all good...that was 2 years ago and mine is doing it again...the Morimoto relays don't like the cold it seems.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
First winter with my GTR ballasts -- err-thang seems good (so far )

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Cheap ballasts might have issues. If you’re using a relay harness check the relays. I had a few relays go bad in a couple of different morimoto harnesses. Swapped them out with good quality relays and never had any issues. If your not using a relay harness then get one.