03 ram 5.7 wanting to add cruise....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SrtCaptstudent

Reaction score
originally from New Castle, Pa, but live in New Je
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and new to having a Ram. Anyway I have a 2003 Ram 2500 ST Hemi, with the only options being auto, 4x4 and air conditioning. The truck does NOT have cruise, but would like to add cruise control. I am not sure what exact it will need and hope someone here does. It is only thing I really want to add currently so I can start making longer trips. Any help is greatly appreciated and If I don't reply right away, it's only because I'm getting ready for my deployment.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome to the forum. First time I've heard of not having cruise. I don't think it is possible to add an aftermarket cruise because of being a Fly By Wire throttle. But on the other hand the only mechanical pieces that would be needed is the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. So I'm thinking you might get by with installing a steering wheel 03/04 are direct replacement and maybe having a dealer PCM flash. I would recommend to get started to download the Service Manual and start reading. Good luck...

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Welcome to the forum. First time I've heard of not having cruise. I don't think it is possible to add an aftermarket cruise because of being a Fly By Wire throttle. But on the other hand the only mechanical pieces that would be needed is the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. So I'm thinking you might get by with installing a steering wheel 03/04 are direct replacement and maybe having a dealer PCM flash. I would recommend to get started to download the Service Manual and start reading. Good luck...
Was the 03 flyby wire??? I know that from 07 on it was. Contact these guys for more info: http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/chrysler-dodge/

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Hmm my neighbor has an 06 Hemi that is not FBW. Maybe that is because he has the stick shift. Not sure though I know he has not done anything to his truck though (even though I have been bugging him to at least get a better sounding exhaust).

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and new to having a Ram. Anyway I have a 2003 Ram 2500 ST Hemi, with the only options being auto, 4x4 and air conditioning. The truck does NOT have cruise, but would like to add cruise control. I am not sure what exact it will need and hope someone here does. It is only thing I really want to add currently so I can start making longer trips. Any help is greatly appreciated and If I don't reply right away, it's only because I'm getting ready for my deployment.

Welcome, what branch? As long as your clockspring has the requisite pins for th eplugs, theoretically all you should have to do is install the buttons and have the PCM flashed for it. I might be able to help you with this, I have a DRBIII and I am in NJ fairly often (from NJ, stationed in MD).

Hmm my neighbor has an 06 Hemi that is not FBW. Maybe that is because he has the stick shift. Not sure though I know he has not done anything to his truck though (even though I have been bugging him to at least get a better sounding exhaust).

Sure it's a hemi? 4.7's were cable that year, unless he did a conversion (doesn't happen very often with the CAN bus vehicles).

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel

I would say he has a 4.7 and not a hemi.
No one wished there was a cable drive Hemi out there more than I do.