Cruise Control Stopped Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shepherdguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I checked a few of the other threads regarding cruise control not working and they don't give me any real advice on my issue so beginning a new thread.

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. Background is I recently completed a CamShaft/Lifter repair and while taking the truck on a test drive, I initiated the cruise control while on the freeway. The cruise control seemed to be working fine until I pulled the cancel paddle forward. It did more than cancel, it turned off and would not turn back on. After turning the truck off and restarting, the cruise control came back on. I set it again on the freeway and it was holding okay, but then traffic started to slow a bit so I pushed the handle downward to reduce the set speed and the cruise control once again shut off and would not come back on. The following day I was taking my truck to work and it is a 1.5 hour commute. I set the cruise control and once again when I canceled it, it shut off and wouldn't come back on. Only this time, it's dead, it won't come back on at all now. During the engine repair, the only system related to the cruise control that was interupted was the throttle body - nothing else was touched. I should also note that over the last year, I did have one trip where the cruise control shut off on it's own (or when it cancelled during braking) and it did not come back on. It functioned normal again the next time I had started my truck and never had another issue until now.

I scanned for trouble codes and got the following two codes: P0593 - Speed Control Switch 2 Circuit High, and P0581 - Speed Control Switch 1 Circuit High. When searching those two codes together, almost without exception, everything I find indicates the clock spring is bad. I guess my question though is, every time it shut off, it shut off when pulling forward or pushing down on the Cruise Control lever. Would this still be a clock spring-caused issue, or would it point to the switch itself? And what method would I use to test the part before condemning it? I prefer to only have to pull the steering wheel and disconnect the airbag once if at all possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357