Banging sound from the bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter9878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just recently bought a Ram 1500! I absolutely love it and its amazing! However every time i stop to quick or go to quick there is a banging sound in the bed. Almost as if the bed were moving back and forth but you can feel it from the cab! What could this possibly be? Im new to the dodge's since this is my first so im stumped!

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '04 Ram 1500 with 96,800 miles on it and just noticed the same thing (I've had it for 8 yrs. now), but when I grab the bed or tailgate and shake it the whole truck moves. The bed stays in place and doesn't seem to move as if bolt holes have rounded out. I'm stumped as well.

OP
OP
H

hunter9878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you find out what it is please let me know! Its like someone put a baseball in the bed of my truck and when i spot and go it hits the front and back of the bed! thats my best way of describing the sound!

OP
OP
H

hunter9878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took a look at my truck and the spare tire under the bed is loose and it is swinging around under the bed! check your spare tire and either tighten it or remove it and hopefully thatll fix your prob! im going to work on mine and ill let you know if that fixes it!

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took a look at my truck and the spare tire under the bed is loose and it is swinging around under the bed! check your spare tire and either tighten it or remove it and hopefully thatll fix your prob! im going to work on mine and ill let you know if that fixes it!

Replied to your pm.

For others info the pm was basicly:

I saw a couple of years ago that my spare tire carrier was rusted bad. Do you know where I can get a complete spare tire carrier for on '04 Ram?

I haven't gotten under the truck lately to check because it's been snowy and almost 0 degrees out. I'll look at it as soon as I can, because that sounds like it's the problem. Not something you think about though.

OP
OP
H

hunter9878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id try looking online! I looked because im thinking about getting a new one! the cable on mine is warn horribly! from the ones i found youre looking around $75-$100! also if you look online they call it a spare tire winch! and heads up you have to have the special tool to tighen it!

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found some for $92. I'll be looking at that while I'm freezing my ass off looking for a switch or sensor to replace at the transfer case tomorrow.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a loud bang noise at times from the rear of the truck in reverse or drive on my 04. Found one of the emergency brake shoes had the lining separate from one of the ebrake shoes and would sometimes put the drum in a bind and make a bang and a jerk from the rear of the truck when it would free up.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '02 did indeed have a loose bed. After offloading some bricks, she decided to loosen up. Felt solid when pushing the side but the bolts took a few full turns. Wear glasses if you decide to check this.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my spare tire isn't tight against the frame and swings freely. I'll have to get the kit from under the seat and try to get it back in place. The winch looks pretty rough so I'm getting a new one, but won't replace it until spring.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The part # for the Mopar winch-spare tire carrier is 52020568AD. It is listed to fit '02-'08 Ram 1500 & '03-'09 Ram 2500 & 3500. Others list it to fit more years. My wife has a '01 Ram 2500. I think it will fit hers as well.

A few links I've found them at so you can see price differences:

52020568AD | eBay

https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

Dodge Ram 1500 Truck Spare Tire Winch Assembly | Dodge Ram 1500 Truck Spare Tire Hoist | Dodge Ram 1500 Truck Spare Tire Carrier Winch At 1A Auto

And of course all of a sudden I can't find the link to the one that was $92.00. If I find it again I'll post.

Hope this helps! :favorites13: