Transmission Removal Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosco3059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of replacing my rear main seal and have run into an obstacle. I have followed the service manual very closely and gotten to the part where the transmission should just slide back on the transmission jack. Unfortunately, this has not happened. I will jump back into tomorrow but would like any advice from the group. One thing I have not done is place the transmission into neutral. I will try this tomorrow of course.

Thanks,
John

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Make sure you have all the bolts out connecting it to the block, there's 2 on the top of the trans that are a PITA. Also, have you removed the 4 bolts holding the torque converter to the flywheel? Those are the only connecting bolts, after that it will slide back with a little help from a pry bar.

OP
OP
R

rosco3059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure you have all the bolts out connecting it to the block, there's 2 on the top of the trans that are a PITA. Also, have you removed the 4 bolts holding the torque converter to the flywheel? Those are the only connecting bolts, after that it will slide back with a little help from a pry bar.

Thanks for the reply charon. I did grab all the bolts you mentioned and you're right about the PITA part! I have tried to "wiggle" the tranny from the rear with little success. Guess it is time to bust out the pry bar.

One follow up: The tourqe converter bolts (4) you mentioned, those are easily accessible while turning the crank, right? There are another set of bolt on the inside of the flywheel that I noticed but they are almost impossible to access.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
OP, have you removed the starter and the bolts holding the trans to the rear cross member? Just thinking out loud.

Those other bolts hold the FW to the crank.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Follow up

null_zpsd0b34112.jpg

You can see the 8 around the crank hub and the 4 holes in the FW for the TC. The 4 for the TC are easily accessed by turning the crank, correct.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rosco3059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Solid advice guys. I bucked up and took a small chisel to the seam. I was being a bit apprehensive before and need the encouragement :) Now rear main seal and assembly. I catch you guys later and contribute when I can. Thanks again!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well done guys... I just changed mine and it wasn't that bad.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ran into the same problem the first time...once you double check for fasteners, just takes some wiggling and prying.