46re rebuild kits and converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I'm in the middle of rebuilding two 46re transmissions and was wondering what rebuild kits others use and what torque converters.
I was going to order from transmissionbench.com because there kits have raybestos frictions and steels but figured I would ask around first.
Also anyone running high performance torque converters? I was considering it this time around.

The reason I'm rebuilding two is because I had a 96 ram 1500 I had some one else rebuild and it wouldn't shift unless you took your foot off the pedal.
then it lost OD and reverse.
The second is from my 2001 which just started throwing p1740. So after I changed the TC and sensors and it still was throwing p1740 I decided to do a full rebuild. 96 made it to 160k 2001 made it to 120k.
Thanks for the help guys.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've rebuilt a couple GM trans with redeagle kits and those transmissions have been strong ever since. I haven't used anything else though.

As for the TQ, just about anything other than stock is just fine, don't change the stall RPM unless you know you need it. If you do need it, you already know that. Even the stock ones go for awhile, put there are much better ones out there for not much more cost than stock.

OP
OP
T

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I saw a few rebuild kits with the red eagles on ebay. But I have never used them. I did notice on ebay most kits don't include the OD snap ring or other parts that should be replaced while in there. I always thought a rebuild kit should come with everything.
With other rebuilds I have always used the autoparts stores Daaco? 787 TC. But I have not been very impressed. I noticed rockauto has a transmaxx but doesn't give any info on it. Also summit sells a hughs That looks promising but doesn't give much info and the pic shows a converter with out a flywheel attached. All the ones I have seen for these trucks are welded. I'm not looking for a high stall I don't think. Stock is 1800rpm correct? I'm more about towing and durability. I'm not a racer type. I drive like an old man granted the highway speeds here are 80mph+

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I saw a few rebuild kits with the red eagles on ebay. But I have never used them. I did notice on ebay most kits don't include the OD snap ring or other parts that should be replaced while in there. I always thought a rebuild kit should come with everything.
With other rebuilds I have always used the autoparts stores Daaco? 787 TC. But I have not been very impressed. I noticed rockauto has a transmaxx but doesn't give any info on it. Also summit sells a hughs That looks promising but doesn't give much info and the pic shows a converter with out a flywheel attached. All the ones I have seen for these trucks are welded. I'm not looking for a high stall I don't think. Stock is 1800rpm correct? I'm more about towing and durability. I'm not a racer type. I drive like an old man granted the highway speeds here are 80mph+

If you drive like an old man, go with stock stall speed unless you do A LOT of low speed towing or pull really heavy stuff. I wouldn't go for the hughes kit, its just not that great of quality.

OP
OP
T

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thanks for the info. I was just about to buy it lol.

OP
OP
T

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
The dealer is telling me 354.00 for the stock torque converter. I might go with that as I am having a hard time finding anything that is not daaco.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Thats the killer bit, TQs are hard to find for a decent price either new or re-manned.