46RE Removal Pains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm removing the trans in my 99 1500 to rebuild it since my clutch packs are toast. So far it's just been one thing after another getting in the way of removal. I'm a certified mechanic so not my first time doing a job like this just first time on one of these trucks. I am doing this by myself since I have no one near me to help. So anyone that has done this and has any tips or tricks to help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone happens to be in the southern Illinois area and could possible help please pm me.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pulling trans and engine through the bay or dropping it down underneath? What kinda issues are you having?

OP
OP
S

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Underneath just seems there is no correct size for the u joint bolts for the transfer driveshaft one size is to big go down a size and to small. Can't get the cross member off and the top starter bolt just can't find a good place to reach it. That's just the biggest issues right now and I know dropping it's gonna be a pain when I get to that since I don't have anyone to help lower it but I have a jack and I'm making a homemade transmission plate for it to support it but like I said never had this much trouble before. It's a good thing I love my truck if I didn't I'd be temped to sell lol.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Driveshaft bolts i don't remember the size off the top of my head but i believe somewhere around 1/2"-9/16" but i can't remember for sure. Might even be metric.

Crossmember will likely need to be hammered out. Going towards the rear of the truck before going down usually works for most. Going back in same story but in reverse.

Top starter bolt i use a 6" and 3" extension with a 5/8" shorty socket. All 3/8" ratchet pieces and it gives more room, at least for me. Pain in the ass to get that guy back in, trans fluid lines have a flange with a hole that lines up with the bellhousing hole.

OP
OP
S

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thank you for the tips I'll see what happens and update you.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you cant get it to come out the bottom, I had a relatively easy time pulling mine out the front of the truck. I just had to pull the radiator and radiator/fender support brace. After those were out, it was just a little back and forth between pulling the engine forward and lifting it up. If you dont have a load leveler, you can forget pulling it from the top though, you have to tilt the engine so the trans tailshaft is pointing towards the ground in order to get the radiator fan to clear the bumper. After that, its pretty much smooth sailing, also, remove the hood if you are pulling from the top, its 4 bolts and you won't run the risk of damaging the hood springs.

OP
OP
S

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm going trough the bottom because I'm only pulling trans little harder to get out than pull motor with but no need to take the motor. Thank you dudeman those are good tips.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm going trough the bottom because I'm only pulling trans little harder to get out than pull motor with but no need to take the motor. Thank you dudeman those are good tips.

If you're just pulling the trans only, one thing i've found that makes life a bit easier is to get yourself a swivel head 3/8th drive ratchet with a normal length handle. It makes getting the bellhousing bolts out while in the tunnel much easier from underneath.

One thing you might try, is to drop the trans a little while still connected to the engine to get some extra height between the bellhousing and tunnel. Just make sure your trans jack is secure.