code 0171 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proudthunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 2nd gen ram 1500
Engine
5.9l
my 2000 ram 1500 is having code 0171 issues on and off.
seems like when truck gets up to temp, it starts bogging down, runs rough, backfires, then stalls...it made a 600 mile trip from tn to wv with no issues...but when i went to work the other day it acted up on the interstate again..so i got out and banged on the fuel tank.. got back in...started it...it ran fine the rest of the 30 miles to work...

replaced iac, both o2 sensors, new muffler, new cat, new plugs new wires, distrib and rotor...HELP..

ONLY DOES IT ON LONG TRIPS, NOT JUST AROUND TOWN.

can it be a ground, my battery does have a bad cell in it.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Considering that you replaced the O2 sensors, I'd say that the engine is definitely running lean. So either it's not getting enough fuel or it's getting too much air.

Try looking for vacuum leaks. I have a Moutaineer that throws the same code and there is a vent hose for the oil fill tube that feeds into the air intake tube that is broken, creating a huge vacuum leak.

Plugged fuel injectors could also cause this. The computer simply sends a pulse to actuate the injectors and as long as the signal goes to and from, the computer is okay. If the flow is blocked however, the cylinder obviously will get very little, if any, fuel and will fire lean but this will not prevent the computer's pulse from travelling. In other words, the computer can't determine if there is actually fuel flowing from the injector or not, just as long as it can "feed" and get a "return."

In the case of a "lean" condition, the upstream O2 sensor detects an unusual amount of oxygen (which should be burned of if the fuel/air mixture is correct) and as a result of the sensor's return signal, the computer CAN see that there is a "lean" condition existing in the engine. The problem is the computer doesn't know WHERE or WHY the engine is running lean and as such, you have to do some diagnosis yourself.

If you're lucky, a can of Seafoam in the gas might clear the injectors and you'll be good to go. I've used the stuff for years and its never steered me wrong.

Hope this helps. Another one of my alcohol-fueled multi-paragraph posts that I hope is actually correct, LOL.

OP
OP
P

proudthunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 2nd gen ram 1500
Engine
5.9l
code 0171

i use seafoam regularly, and lucas injector cleaner..but seems like around town here it doesnt do it..just on the interstate..

my wife drove it the other day and it started acting up,as soon as it started, she put it park,floored it to get rpms over 3000, it popped, then drove normal the rest of the way home....