Code P0441 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
So I was driving last night and the check engine light came on. I pulled the code and its giving me a P0441- Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.
The truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L. It has 27,000 miles. Never had the CEL light come on before.
However, since the truck was new, I did notice that almost every time I fill up the tank, the pump keeps stopping as though the tank is full, even though its not. I have to keep moving the nozzle around until I get it just right. Really annoying but I just learned to deal with it. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? If it's a relatively easy/cheap fix, I plan on doing it myself. I did purchase a factory extended warranty that's good for another 2 years or 75k miles. I read though the coverage and the EVAP system is covered. But in my experience the dealers always try to pull some BS so they can get out of fixing it under warranty. That's why I'd like to repair myself if it's easy/cheap enough.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a thread on this in the 4th gen section about this code, it has been a thorn in my side for years. It comes and goes randomly. I have replaced everything short of the charcoal canister trying to fix this code. Still randomly shows up and then clears itself. Thankfully it hasn't been around inspection time yet.

Following in hopes someone chimes in with a fix...

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thanks for the reply. And sorry I missed the other thread. I did a search and only found threads on prior gen Ram's.
At this point I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer and telling them to only fix it if the problem is covered under my extended warranty. Problem with that is if it's not covered, they'll hit me with a diagnostic fee of $175

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this code waaayyyy back in 2007 or 2008. I had a '05 Daytona Ram and the dealership took care of it. I think the fix was a new gas tank, fuel pump, o-rings, and a few other items. I did not even have to pay the deductible as it was considered an emissions issue, as to what I was told. I had a $50 deductible back at time.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I had this code waaayyyy back in 2007 or 2008. I had a '05 Daytona Ram and the dealership took care of it. I think the fix was a new gas tank, fuel pump, o-rings, and a few other items. I did not even have to pay the deductible as it was considered an emissions issue, as to what I was told. I had a $50 deductible back at time.

Good luck!!

I hope this is the case. Since I have the extended warranty I'm going to take it to the dealer and keep my fingers crossed. If it's not covered by warranty I'm not having them fix it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have a filling problem, In the tank neck or the fuel tank, the fact you're moving the nozzle around, you're overfilling the tank, and you could have damaged the evaporative canister vent filter, located on the side if the filler neck, or the Purge valve located next to the throttle body.
P/S try taking it to a good repair shop the Steeler is going to bend you over!!!

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thanks for all the replies. I cleared the code and the check engine light hasn't come back on. I'm hoping it was just a random one-off thing. At this point if the CEL doesn't come back on I see no reason to do anything about it.
I'll update the thread if the CEL comes back on.

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was driving last night and the check engine light came on. I pulled the code and its giving me a P0441- Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.
The truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L. It has 27,000 miles. Never had the CEL light come on before.
However, since the truck was new, I did notice that almost every time I fill up the tank, the pump keeps stopping as though the tank is full, even though its not. I have to keep moving the nozzle around until I get it just right. Really annoying but I just learned to deal with it. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? If it's a relatively easy/cheap fix, I plan on doing it myself. I did purchase a factory extended warranty that's good for another 2 years or 75k miles. I read though the coverage and the EVAP system is covered. But in my experience the dealers always try to pull some BS so they can get out of fixing it under warranty. That's why I'd like to repair myself if it's easy/cheap enough.
Why buy the extended warranty if you're not going to use it, EVAP codes can be turn in to money pits if you just easter egg your way through them and throw parts at them. let the dealer do it.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you always top the tank off. This will cause cc problems. Carbon canister is for vapor only. And topping off the tank usually get liquid in it & cause a problem. If you don’t top off. And this is happening you might have a kink or loose hose/seal,or o-ring. Under warranty let em take care of it. Had a similar problem on my 04. Dealer said it was a hose & covered under warranty.

2013RAM47L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a check engine light on and periodically the gas filler cap, too. It didn’t matter how many times I took the gas cap on and off. My husband finally took the gas filler apart. It had a lot of road dust in it and the top part wasn’t on straight. He cleaned it up real good and straightened the part, put it back together and in a week all the lights went off and haven’t come back on. Worth a try!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this issue on my '19 when it was three years old and still under warranty. They replaced Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor/Recirculation Tube Assembly (52029939AC). This solved the problem. I was told they had a bad run of them installed on the line.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 106202 miles.

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Why buy the extended warranty if you're not going to use it, EVAP codes can be turn in to money pits if you just easter egg your way through them and throw parts at them. let the dealer do it.

I haven't had the best of luck with dealers and them honoring the extended warranty. I will say that Ram was good the one time I used them. I was only planning on fixing it myself if it was a relatively easy/cheap fix. The warranty has a $100 deductible so I figured if I could change the part myself for ~$100 or less, it was worth it to avoid having to drop the car off at the dealership and leave it there

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know about NY , USA, but this type of thing is a life time warranty thing in Canada I believe. should be no deductible.

55f250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had the charcoal canister replaced on my 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn after having EVAP system issues. Started a year or so with "loose gas cap" indicator then progressed to "EVAP system small leak" to "EVAP system malfunction". I replaced the gas cap thinking it was the problem, then I replaced the "purge solenoid" on the engine. None of the things I did made a difference. I got tired of messing with it so I took it to a local shop. The first time they found a vent hose that had been chewed on by a critter, they replace the hose. Soon after the CEL came back with P0440, P0441, took it back to shop and after diagnostics I was told it was the "esim/charcoal canister. Years ago I would have changed this myself, age and not having the convenience of a lift keeps me from doing a lot of maintenance on my vehicles. I could go on and on about how these things are designed to fail and require a degree in order to troubleshoot. Good luck fellow RAM owners!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat