Rear Diff Blew - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris828

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Hey Everyone

First time posting. Just bought a 1999 1500 (SLT 5.2L 4x4 Manual). Not too long after buying it, I was driving down the highway at about 75 and my rear kicked hard. Engine was still running and it would rev when I hit the gas but there was no power going to my rear tires. I looked under it and the driveshaft had snapped off where it meets the rear diff. I looked a little closer and saw that the housing had cracked/burst (to the point that I could put a finger in it).

I'm not sure what failed in my rear diff but I have come to the conclusion that the easiest way for me to fix it is to get a new rear end from the junkyard. Id appreciate any tips/advice any of you guys have on getting the right part and replacing the rear.

The reason I am posting, is that when I was removing the broken driveshaft, I noticed a new looking SKU sticker on it. This has got me thinking that maybe this same issue recently happened to a previous owner (who fixed it and then sold it) and that I am going to replace the rear end and this will happen all over again.

Any thoughts on what might cause the problem? I thought the tires might have been oversized but I think they are the same height as stock (31.5") with 3.55" gears.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any insight you guys might have.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey Everyone

First time posting. Just bought a 1999 1500 (SLT 5.2L 4x4 Manual). Not too long after buying it, I was driving down the highway at about 75 and my rear kicked hard. Engine was still running and it would rev when I hit the gas but there was no power going to my rear tires. I looked under it and the driveshaft had snapped off where it meets the rear diff. I looked a little closer and saw that the housing had cracked/burst (to the point that I could put a finger in it).

I'm not sure what failed in my rear diff but I have come to the conclusion that the easiest way for me to fix it is to get a new rear end from the junkyard. Id appreciate any tips/advice any of you guys have on getting the right part and replacing the rear.

The reason I am posting, is that when I was removing the broken driveshaft, I noticed a new looking SKU sticker on it. This has got me thinking that maybe this same issue recently happened to a previous owner (who fixed it and then sold it) and that I am going to replace the rear end and this will happen all over again.

Any thoughts on what might cause the problem? I thought the tires might have been oversized but I think they are the same height as stock (31.5") with 3.55" gears.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any insight you guys might have.
as far as right parts go, just look for a Chrysler 9.25 LSD. anything you may want to do to the axle might as well get done while it's not on the truck. I painted mine, for example, but it'd be a great time to put a locker in if you're into doing that. check the drums&pads, make sure everything's up to standard. also, unless you've recently put shocks on, might as well do those too. same with ujoints.

also, u bolts. they are to be a one-time use item. so replace them, even if they look ok. on my 3/4 ton, i had to have mine custom made- but even that was only $40.

as to the new sku or anything of that nature, I don't know what would cause it to break like that

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Get yourself a new 9.5" Limited slip differential, they are also referred to as tracLoc but they are the same.

Make sure you replace all the seals if you buy one used, and make sure to replace the clutch pack for the LSD with a quality part. If you put a cheap clutch pack in it will do one of two things, burn out in less than 6 months thus leaving you with an open diff. Or crack, drop material and either non-violently or violently destroy the differential again.

My guess is the clutch pack in yours broke up, and pieces of it found themselves into the carrier which jammed something up.

(While your at it, might as well replace the rear suspension with a new pack with an extra leaf. It rides a bit harder, but man can you pack it full after that.)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Another 2nd gen ram 1500 rear with 3.55s will swap directly in. I would SKIP the factory lsd as they are known to die. If you want a limited slip find an open diff to swap in and have an aftermarket ls pack installed

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the clutch packs in the Chrysler trac locks don't last that long. I would recommend a true track.

OP
OP
C

Chris828

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Thank you all for the advice.

I think I am just going to go with a 3.55 open diff for now. Just want to get the truck up and running considering I had owned it for two days before everything went south.

I was thinking of doing a little bit of off-roading in the future, that being said I think that if I was to spend the money on a lsd, I would go for a locker instead (I know its a decent amount more).

Also, in response to updating/upradging the suspension, I was debating adding a mild lift (2-4"). I saw some fox shocks (Dodge Ram 1500 4wd & 2wd 1994-2001 Fox 2.0 Performance Series Reservoir Smooth Body Shock # 980-24-945 | SuspensionConnection.com) that I believe are pretty good but before I spend $1K on the suspension, I need to get it up and running and see if there is any other major issues that I need to fix first.

Thanks again for all the pointers and any more advice is welcome.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Thank you all for the advice.

I think I am just going to go with a 3.55 open diff for now. Just want to get the truck up and running considering I had owned it for two days before everything went south.

I was thinking of doing a little bit of off-roading in the future, that being said I think that if I was to spend the money on a lsd, I would go for a locker instead (I know its a decent amount more).

Also, in response to updating/upradging the suspension, I was debating adding a mild lift (2-4"). I saw some fox shocks (Dodge Ram 1500 4wd & 2wd 1994-2001 Fox 2.0 Performance Series Reservoir Smooth Body Shock # 980-24-945 | SuspensionConnection.com) that I believe are pretty good but before I spend $1K on the suspension, I need to get it up and running and see if there is any other major issues that I need to fix first.

Thanks again for all the pointers and any more advice is welcome.

I wouldn't buy from there. I recently bought a track bar drop bracket from them, but ended up not needing it. They refused to accept the return even though I was covering shipping. I didn't even open the shipping box and they still didn't care. They only accept returns/refunds if the product arrived damaged or its the wrong part, but since its my fault they said why should they have to give me money lol. I'm like so you want me to go outside and smash it up so I can get my money back, even though its a perfectly good part that you could sell again. They could literally just rip my name off and slap a new label on since its not even open. After a hour argument with the guy they finally accepted it. :insane: