Radiator blew and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few weeks ago my Ram blew the radiator. It had been leaking for a few weeks and I had been monitoring it. I wanted to get through the end of the year before repairing it. It blew 5 days before our trip to Texas from Belize. We planned to be gone from Belize for almost a month when this happened. Was this a bummer or was it at the right time?

Took the Ram to my trusted mechanic shop and left it there. Had to order a radiator, okay. I was to pick it up upon return in November 14.

Mechanic called and said the Ram's ball joints were worn really worn and needed replacement. This I was planning on having it done in January 2024 along with the radiator replacement.

He said the valves should be grounded since the head gasket blew and the test showed coolant. Wow! I might consider replacing the water pump. We did the ball-joint replacement and total him to do the gasket and valves.

This whole deal set me back $2300. There went the holidays and celebrations. Love the Ram and in eight years never gave me any problems. I guess I should have been more diligent with its maintenance. I thought I was.

Lesson learned: Never put off a repair, it will cost more later.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A few weeks ago my Ram blew the radiator. It had been leaking for a few weeks and I had been monitoring it. I wanted to get through the end of the year before repairing it. It blew 5 days before our trip to Texas from Belize. We planned to be gone from Belize for almost a month when this happened. Was this a bummer or was it at the right time?

Took the Ram to my trusted mechanic shop and left it there. Had to order a radiator, okay. I was to pick it up upon return in November 14.

Mechanic called and said the Ram's ball joints were worn really worn and needed replacement. This I was planning on having it done in January 2024 along with the radiator replacement.

He said the valves should be grounded since the head gasket blew and the test showed coolant. Wow! I might consider replacing the water pump. We did the ball-joint replacement and total him to do the gasket and valves.

This whole deal set me back $2300. There went the holidays and celebrations. Love the Ram and in eight years never gave me any problems. I guess I should have been more diligent with its maintenance. I thought I was.

Lesson learned: Never put off a repair, it will cost more later.
I almost retired to Belize. Made a half dozen trips down there over several years between 2008 and 2012 to check it out and start planning. I even had an area picked out not too far from Spanish Lookout in the Billy White area. Then the crime rate shot out of sight, the government got stupid, and I tossed those plans aside. Such is life.

OP
OP
El Guapo Phil

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A follow-up to the repairs: The mechanic did an excellent job. He should with the cost of the repairs.

The Ram engine is quieter, I guess the valve job and replacing exhaust bolts for new ones helped quiet or prevent the infamous Hemi Tick. I really do not know for sure.

End results the Ram is running cooler and has not gone above 208. Stays at 203. Before the new radiator install and flushing out the cooling system, the Ram would hit 218 or higher at times. According to the Forum thread this was within norms for the Hemi. I drive the same road, go up and down the same hills with better performance and the temperature is steady.

The ball joints and such replacement did make a difference with lessening noise and rattles. I was beginning to think that the older the Ram gets noise is something to accept. Well, I was wrong, at least for the time being.

As for gas mileage, it seems I picked up 2 mpg. I'll monitoring this and see if it is real or not. Oil levels still register full.

Lesson I learned: Take care of the Ram and it will runs for decades.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A follow-up to the repairs: The mechanic did an excellent job. He should with the cost of the repairs.

The Ram engine is quieter, I guess the valve job and replacing exhaust bolts for new ones helped quiet or prevent the infamous Hemi Tick. I really do not know for sure.

End results the Ram is running cooler and has not gone above 208. Stays at 203. Before the new radiator install and flushing out the cooling system, the Ram would hit 218 or higher at times. According to the Forum thread this was within norms for the Hemi. I drive the same road, go up and down the same hills with better performance and the temperature is steady.

The ball joints and such replacement did make a difference with lessening noise and rattles. I was beginning to think that the older the Ram gets noise is something to accept. Well, I was wrong, at least for the time being.

As for gas mileage, it seems I picked up 2 mpg. I'll monitoring this and see if it is real or not. Oil levels still register full.

Lesson I learned: Take care of the Ram and it will runs for decades.
If he had the heads off,i'd do an oil change fairly quickly,even if he did one before giving the truck back.I'd do one with-in a couple hundred miles,better to be safe then sorry,and make sure there's no left-over anti-freeze in the oil

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If he had the heads off,i'd do an oil change fairly quickly,even if he did one before giving the truck back.I'd do one with-in a couple hundred miles,better to be safe then sorry,and make sure there's no left-over anti-freeze in the oil
For sure, there's allot of residual antifreeze in the internals of the engine!!!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
End results the Ram is running cooler and has not gone above 208. Stays at 203. Before the new radiator install and flushing out the cooling system, the Ram would hit 218 or higher at times. According to the Forum thread this was within norms for the Hemi.

Just a guess, but likely your mechanic put a lower temperature thermostat in.

OP
OP
El Guapo Phil

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thermostat is 203 F. I did not detect any antifreeze in the oil. No water-oil on the dip stick. I will monitor it for a few days and then do another oil change.

He did say if there was much contamination in the the oil by antifreeze. He is very meticulous in what he does. I lean toward a second oil change just for insurance purposes.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Head gaskets can 'go'. Usually they last a long time. But when you have aluminum heads and a cast iron block, there's a lot of movement there. Usually failing HG's give some warning to those paying keen attention. They usually put the cooling system under greater pressure ...like what most likely caused your radiator to leak, then eventually 'blow'. Some heater core gurgling in the morning. Likely your radiator hoses were pressured-up like a mini-blimp. If I had the heads off my Hemi I'd drop a new set of lifters in it for sure. Probably should have your brake fluid flushed when you get a chance in the next yr ..since it's more humid there. (unless you've had it done lately). That's another small thing which can save a lot of headache$ down the road.

Either way, now you should be good to go for a while (fingers crossed). Safe travels & happy holidays!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat