Slipping trans after fluid exchange/overfill/lucas trans fix...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
okay so i was driving when i started feeling a little slip/lag.. noticed the fluid was leaking from the pan gasket.. i put some trans fix in there just to get me home.. it worked then slipped as the fluid got low again desperate i put a little bit of 5w30 in there.. got home dropped the pan changed the gasket... filled up autozone brand atf4 5 quarts plus .8 quarts of tranmission fix.. it ran good for like 20 mins then slipped so i blindly put another quart in because a blizzard was coming.. so now 6.8 quarts of fluid.. I then realize i overfilled it and its slipping more than ever!! like it cant work at all... i pumped out 2 quarts and got it to the right fill line but its still slipping worst than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you think the fluid foamed/sledged up and i should replace? or is the trans toasted? total miles with slipping home is about 15miles

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
The trans is going to require a rebuild and likely did before you did anything. Trans fix and other additives usually do more harm than good. And engine oil likely didn't help at all. I am certain changing your fluid at this point would be futile

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
:uhoh2: man you ****** up I hope all the best and like rowdyram said additives do more harm than good.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The trans is going to require a rebuild and likely did before you did anything. Trans fix and other additives usually do more harm than good. And engine oil likely didn't help at all. I am certain changing your fluid at this point would be futile

What he said.

I think it was needing done and was merely compounded by the 5W30 and the Lucas.