Strange Oil Pressure Sensor Twitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I know that I shouldn't trust the factory dash oil pressure gauge. I also have plans on installing a mechanical one here in the next few months as well as a mechanical Tach since my truck doesn't have one. The Oil pressure gauge issue that makes me want to replace it is that it tweaks. I mean I can start my truck and it will set right above 40PSI and stay there no matter what. If I push the throttle it doesn't raise. Sometimes it will drop to "30"PSI then it will twitch.

Now the "issue" if you can call it that. The truck itself has 118k miles on it, and it was owned by the local city which kept maintenance up on it. Since I got it I've had issues with the torque converter unlocking then locking back but it only does it at set throttle positions at set speeds which leads me to believe possibly TPS. Now, what I've noticed is that when the torque converter unlocks and the rpms jump up about 100-200rpm the oil pressure gauge will drop to 30psi then when the torque converter locks and the rpms go back to normal the oil pressure gauge goes back up above 40psi.

Now if I push the throttle just enough to get the torque converter to unlock and down shift the pressure doesn't drop.

So I guess what I'm asking is... is there a known electrical issue that would cause these issues?

For instance my niece has a 97 F250 PSD that if the rear high break lights are out the transmission won't lock the torque converter and the transmission will shift fast.

Any ideas or am I being paranoid?

Oh... the TC issue could also be the fact that my transmission VSS has been leaking transmission fluid... not around the 0-ring but through the sensor. This will get replaced tomorrow, Thursday, after work.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The oil pressure sensor can go bad, if I remember correctly from when I pulled my engine and trans, the oil pressure connector runs through the same section of harness that leads down to the transmission. I've seen that section of harness come loose and come into contact with the downpipe off the driver side exhaust manifold.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The oil pressure sensor can go bad, if I remember correctly from when I pulled my engine and trans, the oil pressure connector runs through the same section of harness that leads down to the transmission. I've seen that section of harness come loose and come into contact with the downpipe off the driver side exhaust manifold.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'll be under there tomorrow to replace that speed sensor since it's leaking transmission fluid. I'll give it a once over while i"m under there.