DIY - Redneck Body Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So last summer I went ahead and attempted my first diy lift. Keep in mind it was a COMPLETE diy, everything from scratch. All said and done I spent about 60 bucks haha.

Materials:
Mig welder
8 foot galvanized 1.5" steel pipe
28 1.5" dia washers
28 .5" dia washers
8 8" cab bolts
6 6" bed bolts

I wish I had pictures of everthing but I've lost all but one.
My lift was 4" but you can go whatever

First step was to cut the pole down into 4" sections

Second, using the mig welder, weld a large washer onto each end of the piece of tubing you've already cut

Third, using the mig, weld on the smaller washer directly over the large one, make sure the holes are centered so the bolt will slide right through. The reason for the step down washer is so that once it is all bolted together, there will be no movement or play from the spacer

Fourth, start assembling the body lift as you would any other body lift

Five, after about half a day, 60ish bucks for material, another 20 for some brew, sit back have a few :drink_nl: and bask in the gloriness of your rednecktified body lift :grd:

Some extra procedures I had to do was trimming the fan shroud, extending both ground wires on the top of the firewall, and I fabbed a bracket to extend the steering column. I would not recommend messing with your steering like that unless you are 100% confident in your welds. People give me shi* all the time about how unsafe it is because a weld can break then Id be left with no steering while I'm driving. Well I'm over confident in my welding abilities not to mention I have wheeled the hell out of it and it has never given me any problems. To each his own on that one.

I would not recommend going over 4" on a body lift mainly due to body roll. As far as vibrations and stiffness from using steel as a spacer, I haven't really noticed anything and not to mention, I did not buy a cadillac and this is as redneck as they get, so who the hell cares about extra stiffness and vibration.

On to the picture..again I apologize, I had more throughout the whole process but someone deleted them seeing as they are no longer on my computer

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
Lookin good. Looks like you used a nice heavy wall pipe *thumbs up*
I was just thinking today about building some just like this but i wanted to fill the pipe with something to make it solid.

Side note NICE Bronco in the back ground

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice. 4" is a LARGE body lift. IMO the hardest part is yet to come. Fabing Bumper brakets and filling voids so it dont look like it has a body lift is going to be your real chalenge. Also with 4 " did you have to slot your floor to get you 4X4 stick to move full swing"? Anyhow nice Job.

As for the "Filling the pipe to make it solid", I would just go with a 3" diameter pipe to give a larger foot print. No need to be solid just stable.