Front axle Dust covers?/U-Joint Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Set-up:
So i've been away at work for the past few months. My Old man was be̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ "Taking care" of my truck while I was away.

Well the truck now needs a major front end overhaul. Ive already done the 98-99 HD steering upgrade and 2 new wheel bearings. I still have to replace the front axle U-Joints.

My questions:

What are the best U-joints for the front Axle?
Grease-able Options?

It looks like there is the remnants of some type of seal on the outside of the front shafts just before they enter the tube. WTH are they? I cannot for the life of me find them on a diagram or a part number for replacement.
(ill post a pic tomorrow if needed)

"Your anticipated compliance is appreciated" - My Boss

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I like Spicer non-greasable myself. Thats what came factory and those ******** lasted 110k of shear abuse by my father. Replaced em with "good" greasables and they just didn't hold up. I went back to Spicer. But that's my opinion

As for those dust covers, pitch em. They're axle tube seals that didn't come factory, aftermarket thing that jeep guys still do. Pretty much worthless

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
+1 to the spicer joints, those things are just about as tough as the engine itself.